The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   So happy I had to share (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/so-happy-i-had-share-89658/)

Golden Horse 06-21-2011 09:21 PM

So happy I had to share

Because I'm in shock, I've been in tears, and I just feel kind of humble...and I need to share with people who may just understand.

I was out feeding the mares and foals tonight, and was on my way out and had to stop and have just one more cuddle with Wombat, when I felt someone lurking behind me. I turned round expecting to see Stewie but there was Bert, Bert who NEVER EVER has approached me for anything.

Bert who I couldn't get near for so long, Bert who spent a while trying to kick or bite me. Bert who gradually has become resigned to me and let me handle her, without ever showing any pleasure. Bert who always leaves straight away when she has finished her food, or when you take her halter off, was asking for something :o

Sooo I had to find out what she wanted, I wondered if all the flies had left her itchy, so I gave her a good brush over. She enjoyed it, but that didn't seem to be it.

Then she shook her head, so I wondered if it was itchy ears, so I reached up and gave her a nice ear rub, hand around the ear, thumb inside, and this is what happened

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b.../20thjune8.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b.../20thjune9.jpg

Yup, head shy, can't even brush her mane Bert wanted an ear rub, and thoroughly enjoyed it. For the first time ever she actually asked for something, and enjoyed an interaction with a person.

It made me cry, happy tears!

Skipsfirstspike 06-21-2011 09:25 PM

What a beautiful, magical moment for you! :)

apachewhitesox 06-21-2011 09:41 PM

That is awesome, I love moments like that. :D

cakemom 06-21-2011 09:50 PM

Awesome! Seems motherhood agrees with her.
Posted via Mobile Device

serafina 06-21-2011 09:59 PM

That is so cool!! I got a little, tiny taste of this last week when one of the mouth-shy horses at the stable offered me his muzzle. I can only imagine what it must be like for you, given what you said here. I'm so glad for you!

tinyliny 06-21-2011 10:09 PM

While I appreciate the horse's generosity in offereing herself to you, I also appreciate your awareness of the magnitude of the gift, and that you "knew" what she wanted. Not everyone would have seen the tiny "crack" in the wall.

Indigosblue 06-21-2011 10:15 PM

awwww, that's great! hopefully she'll know that you are "good" now =P. My mare was always super-nervous, but i started "massaging" her with a curry comb and now she's SO relaxed...lol, all horses are suckers for something!

Golden Horse 06-21-2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serafina (Post 1072413)
That is so cool!! I got a little, tiny taste of this last week when one of the mouth-shy horses at the stable offered me his muzzle. I can only imagine what it must be like for you, given what you said here. I'm so glad for you!

It's just the best feeling isn't it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1072430)
While I appreciate the horse's generosity in offereing herself to you, I also appreciate your awareness of the magnitude of the gift, and that you "knew" what she wanted. Not everyone would have seen the tiny "crack" in the wall.

LOL, she made it quite obvious that she wanted something, it just took a minute to find out what it was. Every horse that is sent to you teaches you something if you are open to learn, she has taught me so much about interaction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indigosblue (Post 1072437)
awwww, that's great! hopefully she'll know that you are "good" now =P. My mare was always super-nervous, but i started "massaging" her with a curry comb and now she's SO relaxed...lol, all horses are suckers for something!

It's great to find something, I've been trying all sorts to get her to actually enjoy an interaction with someone, I think I may try your 'curry massage' next, that may just go down well:lol:

MHFoundation Quarters 06-21-2011 10:34 PM

That's wonderful! Can't help but love those little aha moments with them :)

flytobecat 06-21-2011 10:46 PM

Cool!!