The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   curry-comb massage! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/curry-comb-massage-89659/)

Indigosblue 06-21-2011 09:40 PM

curry-comb massage!

does anyone else do this?
I recently bought my new mare, and she was quite nervous in the tack-up area. I never really brushed her, because she's always so clean, but one day i gave her a really hard curry-comb scrub....she loved it!!!:D I bought her one of those curry-combs with the thick round bumps on it, and she gets a "massage" after every ride now... she's relaxed 100% in the tack-up area! It's like magic! :clap:

Does anyone else's horse do this? She also makes funny "llama" faces when she's scrubbed, so if anyone has pictures of their horse's happy grooming face, please post! Sadly i haven't gotten my camera out to the barn yet, it's too muddy..:evil:

Indigosblue 06-21-2011 09:44 PM

oh yeah, is there such a thing as too much brushing? She loves being scratched REALLY hard, but i'm thinking this might not be good long-term... will it effect her in any way? I love the fact that she's SO relaxed now, but i don't want her to go bald!

serafina 06-21-2011 10:02 PM

To the first post - I do this with my lesson horse. He hates being curried if I use a light touch, but if I pour on the elbow grease a bit, he bends right into it and closes his eyes. I don't have an answer to the second question.

Goodbye13lueSky 06-22-2011 02:41 PM

I would imagine she will tell you with a lack of llama faces if it starts to irritate her more than feel good. I love those faces :)

Shenandoah 06-22-2011 04:47 PM

I have three different massage-type brushes (varying size bumps/bristles on it). Unless I'm in a hurry, I generally spend 30-60 minutes grooming before I ride. Most of that is with the massage-style curries, and then with a couple soft brushes and a face brush, which includes lots of ear scratching.

With the massage brushes on his neck, he leans hard into the brush - I often put the full force of my body into him (and if he suddenly decided to move away I'd end up sprawled on the dirt, lol). On his belly, he gets the top-lip wiggle going on. Everywhere else, his head lowers down and he practically falls asleep.

I figure it's the least I can do in exchange for the hard work I make him do, especially if we're working on something difficult.

Tamibunny 06-22-2011 04:50 PM

UMMM..... I think I would like a curry comb massage... can I please schedule an appointment please.... :D

AlexS 06-22-2011 08:20 PM

My guy is addicted to having the crest of his mane curried, he would do almost anything in the world for that reward. I am almost afraid to do it in the cross ties anymore, as he hangs his head and drops his bottom lip. I think he might fall asleep in the cross ties.

Hidalgo13 06-22-2011 09:01 PM

I curry comb massage my school horses all the time. :D They love it. ;)

As for scratching really hard, it's the only way a horse likes to be scratched. ;) If you scrub X factor right behind the withers, he will stretch out his neck and do a funny smile. :) Only does the face though if you scratch REAALLY hard. At first I thought it was too hard, but the lady who told me his fav scratching spot said that horses like it hard because when they scratch themselves, they do so by they biting, picking and rubbing really hard their skin with their teeth. So I don't think our human hands can do as much as their teeth can. ;)

So no I don't think scratching hard is bad on the long run. :) If the spot does become sensitive from excess love scratches, then do them less often. :)

JustAwesome 06-22-2011 09:21 PM

my boy absolutely LOVES a good curry comb, I got a video of doing it last night, have a watch! :) He enjoyed it so much he didn't eat his hard feed.. although he tried LOL!

Indigosblue 06-22-2011 10:07 PM

awww, JustAwesome, your horse is so cute! love the "llama face"!!!! i always joke that i want a massage too, maybe i need to start training my horse to give massages....hmmmmm.