The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Potential buy for family member, can you please critique pictures/video? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/potential-buy-family-member-can-you-89663/)

steedaunh32 06-21-2011 11:05 PM

Potential buy for family member, can you please critique pictures/video?

3 Attachment(s)
Ok he's a 16yo 15.1 gelding and for an advanced beginner rider and up. Does anyone think something looks a bit "off" with is feet in the video? Maybe it's just me. They're asking $1800 (California). Thank you for any/all opinions!

tinyliny 06-22-2011 12:57 AM

I see nothing wrong with his feet , at all. The video is of a poor resolution, so there is a bit of "jolting" action to it that makes the horse look like it moves wierd. To me, and I am not expert, he moves just fine.

In fact, I think he's rather well built and I like him a lot.
What I do see, however, is a horse with a very hard mouth and mind. It looks like he's been ridden by people without very soft hands for much of his life and he holds himself in a very braced and defensive manner. The boy was jerking on his mouth and even at a standstill had the reins (to a curb bit!) pulled tight. Even the man who rode with a chest rope was jerking on him and gave the body signals to stop AFTER a jerk on the rope, instead of cueing first with his body, then the rope.
I get the feeling that he has been being a good boy and putting up for many years. If you were willing to kind of restart him and work on building some softness in him, I believe he would be a good horse for a beg. low intermediate rider.
I like him!

atreyu917 06-22-2011 01:11 AM

Soooo handsome! I like him

LynnF 06-22-2011 01:33 AM

I don't see much wrong with him conformationally but I do notice that they way they ride him has caused him to have a very hard mouth and to brace against the bit and try to evade it at some points. He seems like a nice guy with a good mind but will need quite a bit of work to retrain him to be soft and responsive.

corinowalk 06-22-2011 01:42 AM

I think he is quite the saint and looks to be really sound. As far as the hard mouthed stuff goes, ride soft and they usually come around.

steedaunh32 06-22-2011 02:34 AM

Hi guys, thanks for the critique and I totally agree. I cringed when I saw the boy yanking on his poor mouth! He's such a looker, too. We're going to go check him out this weekend I think. Thanks again :-)

steedaunh32 06-22-2011 07:20 PM

On a sidenote, they're saying he's a registered paint, but his pictures (especially the last one) make me think he's possibly a gypsy vanner....? And he almost looks gaited to me. I don't know maybe I'm way off here!

atreyu917 06-25-2011 12:24 AM

I don't see the vanner at all :/

Gidget 06-25-2011 04:56 PM

I see paint...no vanner....also he looks to be wide set in the back but the angles of the pictures arent really meant for confo critique. I love him though...i love paints <3

equiniphile 06-25-2011 05:26 PM

He's a very nice horse, but be prepared for some retraining in a snaffle to get him light on the bit and help him to not appear as defensive when ridden, if that makes any sense.