The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Needs Muscles. How?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/needs-muscles-how-8969/)

HorsesAreForever 05-15-2008 08:11 AM

Needs Muscles. How??

I know chance needs a lot more muscles how can I get her to gain more muscles?? Her neck is really thin compared to her body I think so How could I go about getting muscles in her neck as well. I've never really worked with a horse that needed a ton of muscles so im clueless about some of this. Would free jumping help with her hind legs??

Im not planning on starting this till I know what the vet says.

tim 05-15-2008 01:05 PM

Do you have a hot walker?

Otherwise you can just go about your business as usual and let Chance bulk up as you go.

Solon 05-15-2008 02:30 PM

Hills are very good for building up hind quarters. If you have a nice slope (not steep) backing uphill is really good.

Bending exercises can help build up neck muscles.

HorsesAreForever 05-15-2008 02:35 PM

hot walker?? whats that??

We have very slight hills.. do u mean lungeing on them?

Bending .. as in like make her nose touch her side or something

Solon 05-15-2008 02:39 PM

Not lunging on them. You ride the hills. Up and down. You back them up the slopes (again NOT too steep). It really helps to build the muscles in their butts.

Lots of trail riding with hilly ground will help buil muscles.

What do you currently do with your horse?

A hot walker is something you hook your horse up too and it walks them in circles.

If you Google, bending exercises for horses you will come up with a nice variety of things you can do.

HorsesAreForever 05-15-2008 02:43 PM

Well im not quite ready to ride chance even out of the round pen or indoor ring because she tends to bolt so could I just lunge her on them or walk and trot her up them in hand and back her up them??

and no we dont have a hot walker.

Ill google that up in a min thanks!

Solon 05-15-2008 02:49 PM

Definitely hand walk her on the hills! Just be careful if she is a bolter that she doesn't try to run off when you are working with her.

HorsesAreForever 05-15-2008 03:15 PM

should I just walk or go to a trot??

She never bolts while in hand unless if she gets badly spooked

Breeze68 05-15-2008 03:18 PM

Work at what ever pace is comfortable. If she's good at a walk, then try a trot. Any type of hill work is great for them, us too...lol.

Solon 05-15-2008 03:18 PM

Start out with easy walking and don't do your sessions for very long. You don't want her getting sore.

It'd be like you starting to do hills, your muscles would get pretty sore too - especially walk backwards.

Do hill work in 10-15 minute sessions maybe every other day. Add a few minutes each week and make it a little more challenging. I wouldn't even start backing her uphill til the third or fourth week. Then we she's getting more conditioned start trotting.

Make sure you make it interesting for her too. Horses can get easily bored so don't always go the same way on the hill - if that's an option.