The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Trying out a new trainer (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/trying-out-new-trainer-89696/)

dreamsintotreasure 06-22-2011 11:52 AM

Trying out a new trainer

I have ridden with the same trainer for the past 15 years and because of a little tiff that we had, I ended up moving my horse away from her barn. Now I feel like I have all the opportunities in the world. My old trainer was very much 'her way or the highway' kind of person which meant that I didn't have a lot of opportunity to work with other trainers. Since I have moved from her barn I have felt kind of free. I have taken a lesson with a new trainer and absolutely love her. She had me working with my horse like I never have before. Basically my horse was trained as an eventer before I got him, my old trainer was more into the hunters, and the new trainer does more eventing. So logically the new trainer would be able to get better results from me and my horse. I am still amazed at how well we have been doing. I have been playing around with the idea of trying an event. Like I said, I have been in the hunter world my entire horse career so I am intrigued to try something new. Supposedly I have been missing out on the wonderful world of eventing and since my horse looks more like an eventer, I think this could be a really good match. I am really excited for the new possibilities in my future!!!! :D

blue eyed pony 06-22-2011 12:40 PM

A new trainer is always a refreshing experience. I just started with a new coach too and I'm getting things out of my horse that I didn't even think he had in him. He was a dork today (the horse not the coach) but even so it was a successful ride, and I think that it was the coach that made the difference.

My horse is an eventer too, a good one from what I've heard, so in theory I shouldn't be surprised that I'm getting these things out of him, but when I had another coach imply that he was too much horse for me (someone so small shouldn't be riding a horse so strong in the mouth were almost his exact words) I think in my head it triggered the thought pattern of "he just doesn't have that bigger trot in him, he can't this, he can't that" when in fact the problems I was having with him were all ME, and the other coach not riding him the way he's trained compounded the issue.

What I'm trying to say is that if you're happy with the new coach, stick with them, because to get the results they must be doing SOMETHING right, and the most important thing is to have a coach you get along with. You can't listen to a person you don't like. (I know this from experience)

dreamsintotreasure 06-22-2011 12:54 PM

I completely agree. I think the trouble that I was running into was the fact that my horse was trained as an eventer but I was being taught as hunter. At least for me, this is two totally different ways of riding. I am really loving my new trainer though. She is just so postive and she really knows how to motivate you to be able to ride better. Like you, I have ridden with a trainer who isn't the most positive person and had a tendency to put me down and made me not want to ride. I have actually started enjoying riding again and am excited to try new things.

After watching my new trainer ride a few of her horses that are in training, I just want to run home and ride myself. Another thing that I really like about her is that she gives me 'homework'. I am not able to take weekly lessons so the fact that she gives me things to work on and try and improve before our next lesson is great.

kitten_Val 06-22-2011 01:23 PM

Sounds like a good way to go! Hope you'll enjoy eventing a lot! :)

dreamsintotreasure 06-22-2011 02:44 PM

I really think that eventing will be a good fit for me. I am not somebody who gets scared easily and I am somewhat of an adrenaline junkie. I do like the more technical things too so I think that I am getting the best out of all worlds with trying eventing out.

haleylvsshammy 06-22-2011 05:34 PM

Welcome to Horse Forum! Sounds like you're having oodles of fun with your horse and it's always fun to try something new! I'm glad that you're enjoying your new trainer and hopefully you'll stick with us and show us loads of pictures and videos of your progress!

P.S. if that's your horse in your picture he is a cutie!

dreamsintotreasure 06-22-2011 05:38 PM

Thank you for the welcome note. I am really excited to have found a place that I can express my excitement, concerns, and everything else horse related!

That is a picture of my boy. His barn name is Linkin. I have only had him for about 6 months but I am totally in love!!!!

My blog does have some video of us if you would like to check it out.

A Pony Is A Childhood Dream, A Horse Is An Adulthood Treasure

So far I am loving this forum!!!

MsKibibi 06-22-2011 08:16 PM

That's awesome you found a new trainer that is teaching you new things. I just switched trainers also because I got to a point where I no longer felt challenged or that I was improving with my old trainer. She was great but she was really a Western trainer who knew the bare minimum about English so it was only a matter of time before I needed to find someone else. My new instructor is amazing and now I'm learning dressage with the goal of eventually doing Jumpers.

MsKibibi 06-22-2011 08:28 PM

P.S. I just visited your blog and I love it! I subscribed via RSS. :)

dreamsintotreasure 06-22-2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsKibibi (Post 1073400)
That's awesome you found a new trainer that is teaching you new things. I just switched trainers also because I got to a point where I no longer felt challenged or that I was improving with my old trainer. She was great but she was really a Western trainer who knew the bare minimum about English so it was only a matter of time before I needed to find someone else. My new instructor is amazing and now I'm learning dressage with the goal of eventually doing Jumpers.

That is very exciting!!!! Learning new things is always a good thing. For me when I am working with my horse, it isn't really WORK. Yes I am tired at the end but I always have a real sense of accomplishment especially when I get something for the first time. The accomplishment makes it so much fun, not to mention I am getting to spend time with one of my best friends. It amazes me how close I feel to my horse. I know he doesn't feel the same way because he is a horse and they don't have the same people emotions that we do, but I do feel like he is one of my best friends. He always is able to make my day better and cheer me up when I really need it most and he is the best secret keeper ever! :lol: I don't understand how some people just don't have horses in their lives...