The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Loose ring - d-ring - eggbutt? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/loose-ring-d-ring-eggbutt-89752/)

MyBoyPuck 06-22-2011 10:38 PM

Loose ring - d-ring - eggbutt?

I've found a bit that I think my horse will be more comfortable about stretching into. I'm just on the fence about which type of rings would be best. Horse is an OTTB, very sensitive mouth, very responsive to me so needing more control is not a factor. Just want him as comfy as possible. Thoughts?

Eliz 06-22-2011 11:59 PM

What did you have before?

There would be more pressure on the outside of the mouth with the eggbutt & d-ring. If the hole is too big on the loose ring, it can cause pinching, but its not really an issue in well-made, more expensive bits. IMO loose ring tends to encourage jaw relaxation because it is not so fixed, but it probably depends on the horse.

Eager to hear what others say!

JustDressageIt 06-23-2011 12:20 AM

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack...pe-bits-36522/

kitten_Val 06-23-2011 07:49 AM

MBP, you have to try before you tell. Really. :-) As I said my qh likes eggbutt, my paint likes loose rings. If your horse is busy in his mouth (and I'd assume he is being OTTB) I'd say loose rings may work better (plus moving rings won't let him "lock" the bit how my paint did with her eggbutt before I switched).

P.S. Personally I don't like D-rings for whatever reason (I like that mouth piece/rings connection in eggbutt more, because it's very smooth). Although I know they are hot in hunter/jumpers around here at the moment.

MyBoyPuck 06-23-2011 06:14 PM

I'm leaning toward the loose ring. I want the bit to move around in his mouth to some extent. Otherwise he'll lock his jaw. He was in a D-ring french link. The trainer said he was trying to move the bit away with his tongue. I originally thought it was more the type of middle piece, type of metal and fattness of bit, but then started thinking the answer might be in how much it's free to move in the horse's mouth, hence the rings question. The bit I borrowed from my trainer is a loose ring and he seems to like it. Bit fitting is so much fun, isn't it?

kitten_Val 06-24-2011 08:40 AM

BTW, from my experience you may want loose ring bit to be little bigger than similar eggbutt. I hope your boy will love the new bit! :)

aspin231 06-26-2011 03:44 AM

^I've always used a loose ring that is 1/4" larger than would be used with a fixed-ring bit, it that helps. It gives a little more space to ensure there's no pinching.

gypsygirl 06-26-2011 09:20 AM

i personally like a Dring for my mare, but she gets really loose in the jaw and does a ton of chewing, so thats not really an issue. i have known a few sensative TBs that hate loose rings because of all the movement, but that obviously doesnt mean that yours wont. just try some bits out and see what works best for you =]

MyBoyPuck 06-26-2011 05:14 PM

Okay, so I'm 90% leaning toward the loose ring. I see you guys anticipating my question about going a 1/4 size larger to prevent pinching. My only remaining question is, as sweet as my horse is, he does have the occasional TB moments and we need to execute the quick one rein stop type correction. Will the loose ring make that more difficult to execute? I have images of the bit flying right through his mouth, him dumping me and heading home while laughing his butt off.

kitten_Val 06-26-2011 05:44 PM

I never had problems with one-rein stop with loose rings. I had however with my old eggbutt (the rings were too small for my big-mouth qh, so it did came through once :shock: ).