The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Meet the Community (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/)
-   -   Hello from Norway! (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/hello-norway-89776/)

Sygna 06-23-2011 01:53 AM

Hello from Norway!

Hi!
My name is Christina, I am 22 years old and live just outside the small town Tromsų in northern Norway. I live in an apartment with my fiancče. We both love horses. I began attending at a riding school when I was 9, and the horse interest haven't gotten any smaller since then. :lol: My boyfriend was first really introduced to horses when we met in 2006. Apart from horses, I also love all other animals. I had a cat before, named Gulliver. He was the best... Sadly, he died in february 2010. But one day we will have a new cat. Right now we can't, we aren't permitted to have any pets in our apartment... :-(
We dream of buying our own farm. :D
Other things that interests me is books, films, TV series, PC games, photography, genealogy, being with friends, traveling, postcrossing...

I have three horses, all of them of an old native norwegian breed called Nordlandshest/Lyngshest. Or Nordland/Lyngen horse in english. :-) Most people outside of Norway haven't heard of this breed. The N/L-horse is very small in population, there is less than 3500 individuals all over the world. The breed was almost extinguished before World War II, there were left only 3 stallions and about 20 mares. But luckily a small group of people in northern Norway saved them! The breed is still struggling with inbreeding, but we are certainly going in the right direction!
Scientists believe that the Nordland/Lyngen horse is one of the ancestors to the famous Icelandic horse.

Here are my horses:

Sygna, born 1998
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._6716279_n.jpg
Her name means "She from Sogn" (Sogn is a county in Norway)
Sygna is my dream horse! A great breeding mare, she has had a total of 7 foals by now, but only two of them in our possession. We bought Sygna in november 2009.

Aurvandil, born 2010
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._7838683_n.jpg
Sygna's son, by the stallion Skimt.
His name means "The morning star" (from norse mythology, Egil Aurvandil was the father of the god Ullr)

Draupnir, born 2011
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1255173_n.jpg
Sygna's youngest son, by the stallion Oldervik Far.
His name is also from norse mythology. Draupnir (or Draupne) was the magical ring who belonged to the god Odin.

We have our own website too, but only in norwegian though... Well, here is the link anyway:
Hjem - www.123hjemmeside.no/sygna

Well, that was a little bit about me and my horses. :D

tinyliny 06-23-2011 02:34 AM

Thank you so much for sharing with us about your life and your horses. They are all very handsome individuals. Do you ride them or only breed? Are they gaited similarly to Icelandics? I have ridden Icelandics here in the US. Very exciting when they really GO!

Many years ago my husband travelled through Norway when he was a young man. He always says that it is one of the most beautiful countries in the world. One day, we shall go there together.

See you on the forum!

ps (I lease a horse. He is a very nice Appalousa horse, and though I have studied dressage, I now only do trail riding)

gigem88 06-23-2011 09:06 AM

Welcome, your horses are very beautiful! A friend of mine regularly goes to Norway to visit family. I will definitely check out your website,.

Sygna 06-23-2011 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1073814)
Thank you so much for sharing with us about your life and your horses. They are all very handsome individuals. Do you ride them or only breed? Are they gaited similarly to Icelandics? I have ridden Icelandics here in the US. Very exciting when they really GO!

Many years ago my husband travelled through Norway when he was a young man. He always says that it is one of the most beautiful countries in the world. One day, we shall go there together.

See you on the forum!

ps (I lease a horse. He is a very nice Appalousa horse, and though I have studied dressage, I now only do trail riding)

Thank you! :D
Yes, I ride them too. They are great riding horses, steady, fun, and a lot of them are also very intelligent. Many N/L-horses have done well in riding and driving competitions. The most famous of them is Ruskens Solve, which jumps up to 130 cm in showjumping competitions. He has his own Facebook site where you can see many pictures of him. He is absolutely stunning!

Most of them don't have the two extra gaits that the Icelandics have, but there are still a few who is said to have them. They haven't bred them to preserve the extra gaits, and it is almost gone in today's N/L-horses. They just don't have the correct physique any longer to make tölt a natural gait for them. It is very sad.

So happy to hear you use such fine words to describe Norway! :D I like my country, but would love to travel more. I have just been in Sweden and Finland by now. We are planning to go to England soon, and I hope to see the US some day too!

How fun, appaloosas are beautiful horses! I like the markings very much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigem88 (Post 1073965)
Welcome, your horses are very beautiful! A friend of mine regularly goes to Norway to visit family. I will definitely check out your website,.

Thank you! :D I am planning on getting my fiancče to translate the website into english, or at least make an informative article about the N/L-horse to have there. He is much steadier in the language than I am... Hope you will enjoy our website anyways!