The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Hand washing an English show jacket? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/hand-washing-english-show-jacket-89833/)

cosmomomo 06-23-2011 10:18 PM

Hand washing an English show jacket?

Sorry if there has already been a thread about this, I'm kinda short on time and didn't have a chance to look.

Can I wash my 98% wool, 2%lycra show jacket by hand? I kinda have a show that's popped up on me, and there is no way it will be done by the cleaners in time, it's kind of wrinkled too, so if anyone knows what I can do about that lemme know. The show jacket I was PLANNING on wearing, ya know, the one that's clean, is way to big for me now (yay!) so I have to use the one that's been too small for the past 3 years, and even it is a little big, but I'll have to make do. Thanks everyone!

VelvetsAB 06-23-2011 10:49 PM

You might be better off spot cleaning it with a damp cloth, and hanging the jacket in the bathroom while you have a nice hot steamy shower.

writer23 06-23-2011 11:49 PM

Subscribing.

VelvetsAB, does the shower tip shrink the jacket at all? If I even gained a pound or it shrunk my hunt jacket's buttons would probably ping off and take someones eye out.

Cosmomomo, good job on the weight loss:) It feels so good when the skinny clothes fit!

Sophie19 06-23-2011 11:56 PM

I would spot clean and iron it.

corinowalk 06-23-2011 11:57 PM

Spot cleaning and hanging near the shower should work pretty well. If not, pull the wrinkles while puffing with steam about 4-6" away from the material.

The wrinkle release spray works pretty well and it smells fab.

VelvetsAB 06-24-2011 12:21 AM

Well, you aren't actually putting the jacket IN the shower, but hanging it on the back of the door, so that the shower steam affects it. Cheaper then using a steam vacuum thingy. You would have to take a super long hot shower for the jacket to get drenched enough that it would shrink it. Haha.

cosmomomo 06-24-2011 12:28 AM

I tried the shower thing, but it didnt do much as far as wrinkles. I might have to put the shower on as hot as possible and leave it in there for a while.. Would spritzing it with some water from a spray bottle and then sticking it in the dryer on low for a few mins do the trick? I'm not really worried about it shrinking, i just dont want to majorly damage the fabric. I dont plan on selling it, and it was a cheapo one anyway. Plus, ill be purchasing a new one a.s.a.p. I'll let you guys know how it goes if thats what i decide to do lol :P
Posted via Mobile Device

cosmomomo 06-24-2011 12:29 AM

Oh, and thanks writer23! It does feel good when your skinny clothes fit again :)
Posted via Mobile Device

upnover 06-24-2011 04:00 PM

Yikes, I would not hand wash it or put it in the dryer!! I agree, some kind of steaming to get the wrinkles out (or even Downy Wrinkle Releaser) and spot cleaning if needed. I show in my coat all the time without a cleaning inbetween shows... ;)

Alwaysbehind 06-24-2011 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corinowalk (Post 1074743)
The wrinkle release spray works pretty well and it smells fab.

I second this.

I do not know how they work but they sure work.

Miracle in a spray bottle.

Many dry cleaners offer over night service. Some even offer same day service. Obviously all for an extra fee.