The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   What is considered a "good" sliding stop? (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/what-considered-good-sliding-stop-89862/)

Bugs Bunny 06-24-2011 07:29 AM

What is considered a "good" sliding stop?

I love watching western pleasure and reining events on Youtube. I've tried riding western before, and it wasn't my cup of tea, but I love watching it. Way more than my own discipline, jumping :-P I'm such an oddball.

So while watching these events, I can never quite tell when a sliding stop is dignified a "good" sliding stop or a "bad" sliding stop. All of them are pretty darn impressive :lol:

So I finally decided to ask you guys, what would you dignify a good or bad sliding stop? :-)

nrhareiner 06-24-2011 12:39 PM

There are several things you look for in a good sliding stop and contrary to popular belief it has little to do with distance although that is what will get you the plus scores.

The front end (shoulders) need to be picked up. The front legs need to be free moving as does the shoulder. The rear needs to be solid and not skipping. There are different stiles of sliding stops neither seems to score better then the other. It really comes down to the front end and the speed.

Bugs Bunny 06-24-2011 08:20 PM

Thanks NRHA! Now I won't be baffled while watching reining patterns :lol:

Cherie 07-04-2011 06:53 PM

I look for a 'relaxed' horse rather than one with stiff posture. The horse's front end needs to be elevated enough to allow the horse to keep his front moving. The back legs obviously need to be well up under the horse, but I prefer to see them 'flexed' at the hock rather than stiff and straight (like a lot of the old reiners and old calf roping horses were).

One of the things I like to tell people new to the sport to watch is how much the back is rounded. A horse that is trying to stop (as opposed to a horse that the rider is stopping) will have its belly drawn up and its back rounded -- often times to the point that the back of the saddle / saddle pads have a 4 to 6 inch gap under them. A horse that is that committed to his stop is going to plus every time if nothing else is amiss.