The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Feeding whole Oats as a primary grain for your horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/feeding-whole-oats-primary-grain-your-89887/)

Annnie31 06-24-2011 12:51 PM

Feeding whole Oats as a primary grain for your horses?

I know you people had a thread back in February about feeding oats to your horses and I was surprised that some were not too receptive to it as a primary feed along with hay. We feed our horse whole oats and quality alfalfa hay with and I wondered if many other posters on here have done the research and feed the same? :D

Speed Racer 06-24-2011 12:55 PM

Oats and alfalfa would be my last choice, not my first.

I feed a dry pellet along with a good, grass mix hay.

I can't think of any reason, unless you have a barn full of high performance show animals, to feed such a high octane mix of alfalfa and oats.

spirit88 06-24-2011 01:22 PM

I feed whole oats and grass hay i do have a vitamin mineral mix i give also.
I tryed RBS The feed store that special ordered it wouldnt do so any more so iv gone back to oats.My horses do just fine on oats and hay we do ride them six days a week four to five hours a day. I dont ever feed more then 2lbs though if they need more calories i add empower boost wich works well.
Plus they always have hay or grass to eat never are with out forage.My horses cant keep weight on without grain they work to hard to only survive on grass and hay.

Annnie31 06-24-2011 01:22 PM

Why do u believe it is high octane?
I know many people believe that and all kinds of other myths which is partly why I posted here.

sarahver 06-24-2011 01:26 PM

They are considered high octane due to the high starch/sugar content when they are broken down in the digestive system. Oats can be a great addition to feed when balanced appropriately for the individual horse and it's workload. It's the balancing part that is key :wink:

We used to feed horses that were racing a combo of oats, barley, alfalfa, oaten chaff and bran amongst other goodies but they certainly burned off all the calories. Unless the horse has a very heavy workload it probably isn't necessary for most situations.

kitten_Val 06-24-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1075271)
Oats and alfalfa would be my last choice, not my first.

Second it. Although corn would be my VERY last choice beating oats.

Speed Racer 06-24-2011 02:34 PM

Oh yes Kitten, good catch. I don't do corn, either.

Sarah, exactly. My horses are mostly lazy pasture puffs, with the occasional ride thrown in here and there. They certainly don't need to be fed like Olympic caliber athletes! :-P

Alwaysbehind 06-24-2011 02:41 PM

Many people do not realize that oats are actually a pretty high NSC feed. They think because it is not a processed feed it is a low NSC feed and it is very much not so.

spirit88 06-24-2011 06:13 PM

Where i live there isnt much choice on what i feed oats are very easy to get a farmer sells them. The fleet farm in town is fifty miles one way plus they dont carry any feeds i would buy. The only feed i would buy at fleet farm is impower boost the rest is nothing but by products for ingredients. Oats might not be the best but thats my only choice. My horses have done well on them so thats what i feed.

trailhorserider 06-24-2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annnie31 (Post 1075262)
I know you people had a thread back in February about feeding oats to your horses and I was surprised that some were not too receptive to it as a primary feed along with hay. We feed our horse whole oats and quality alfalfa hay with and I wondered if many other posters on here have done the research and feed the same? :D

It's a common way to feed here in Arizona. Alfalfa is the most common and easiest to get hay here. It is also very high in calcium and low in phosphorous, so adding something like oats or barely will help balance out the high calcium of the alfalfa.

Actually, when my mare was pregnant, that is what my vet recommended- alfalfa and several pounds of oats to give her some phosphorous to balance out the calcium in the alfalfa.

Right now I am feeding alfalfa, a little bit of bermuda, and barley (because they are cheaper than oats and are also high in phosphorous). For those of us feeding a mostly alfalfa diet, straight grains are our friends. :lol: