The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Tipsss?:) Jumping BareBack (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/tipsss-jumping-bareback-89894/)

HomerBoy 06-24-2011 01:43 PM

Tipsss?:) Jumping BareBack

1 Attachment(s)
So i think i got the picture attatched?
But anyways, this is me jumping bare back and in halter on a horse i am wanting to show. Its just a fun jump i wass not dressed right or anything haha, but i would love it if you guys have any tips for me.
Thanks!

Sapphire 06-25-2011 05:54 PM

To be honest, just keeping a secure seat while jumping bareback is an achievement on some horses, so I wouldn't be worrying too much about the position etc :)
But you asked for tips, so I would say, next time, try and keep your heels down firmly and your legs as long as possible. This will help you keep your balance so that you don't have to lean on the horse's neck. Also, in the photo, it looks like you have fallen forward onto the neck - you want to fold, but not lean - just the same as jumping with a saddle really. The thing about bareback jumping is that you really have to ride almost completely by balance alone and not grip, cause without a saddle the horse is much more sensitive to your aids.

sullylvr 06-25-2011 06:50 PM

just a quick question, why would you need to put your heels down when riding bareback? I find myself just forcing my toes up and it dosnt do much for my bareback position... In the saddle I feel all my weight in my heels and it's more secure but bareback... Not really. Just curious!
Posted via Mobile Device

Spastic_Dove 06-25-2011 10:55 PM

Keeping your heels down stabilizes you. If you cantering along with your toes pointed down and your horse slams to a halt, you're going to go over his ears. Your center of balance will already be forward and you will not be stabilized over the center of the horse. If your heels are down, you will have a better chance of staying over your horse.

Your heels being down stabilizes your leg which helps keep your hip, back, shoulders, and everything else in order. Your leg is your foundation.

wild horses 06-26-2011 01:37 AM

hey i love bareback jumping best thing for your riding because it helps develop an elastic position, great for eventing, which is what i do, all id say is dont through your seat to forward up his neck. you want to stay slightly more back when riding bareback.

sullylvr 06-26-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove (Post 1076714)
Keeping your heels down stabilizes you. If you cantering along with your toes pointed down and your horse slams to a halt, you're going to go over his ears. Your center of balance will already be forward and you will not be stabilized over the center of the horse. If your heels are down, you will have a better chance of staying over your horse.

Your heels being down stabilizes your leg which helps keep your hip, back, shoulders, and everything else in order. Your leg is your foundation.

Yes I know that.
However when I'm riding bareback im not sinking my weight into my heels. I can sink my weight down in what would be the same way I do in the saddle and as an effect my heels don't go down at all. To do that I basically just force my toes up... I know there must be a reason I don't feel as pushing my heels down bAreback secures me because i am a HUGE advocate that heels down improves position and balance.

OP: sorry to hijack!! Mabye my rambling will help the both of us eh? For you: first of all i just love that your riding bareback! But as others said you are leaning a bit on your horses neck. I know when riding bareback you want to put yourself in two point because you feel without the saddle two point is harder.. But this is the best of all time to let your horse naturally push you up and give a release! As for heels... I'm lost about that :p
Posted via Mobile Device

Sapphire 06-27-2011 08:38 AM

Imagine you are riding without stirrups; wouldn't you keep your heels down then? It's just the same bareback, really. Bareback is about balance and keeping your heels down is the key to good balance when riding. Don't think of it as forcing your toes up, because then it will be forcing your toes up, which is different. Imagine having weights tied onto your heels, (I don't even know if that is possible 0.o) pulling them down, and through that, stretching your legs and pulling all your weight down.

Also, if you leave your toes down your legs are more likely to swing back, causing your upper body to fall forward onto the horse's neck.

sullylvr 06-27-2011 10:08 AM

Ahhh your description makes alot of sence! I've been told the weights on heels thing before but only applied it to in the saddle! My heels probably won't be AS down as normal but I can feel how they'd go down now. Thanks!!! :)

hands thread completely back ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

HomerBoy 06-27-2011 08:06 PM

Thanks guys! this was the first time i have ever jumped riding bareback, its my friends horse im going to be showing and she always rambles about keeping my legs forward etc. mainly the stuff ya'll are saying! lol, ill take these tips in mind next time i jump bareback, and keep improving!