Status
Not open for further replies.

will she gray out more?

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  SEAmom 
#1 ·
hi i have a russian / polish arabian mare shes 5years old
her sire was black
and her dam was black that went gray
she was born a black (i wish i had pics)
when i first got her_
Halter Horse Mammal Bridle Horse tack

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Rein Pack animal

jan 6
Mammal Vertebrate Horse Mane Stallion

feb 14
Horse Mammal Vertebrate Mare Stallion

yesterday
Horse Vertebrate Mammal Mane Mare

Horse Mane Mare Colt Terrestrial animal

will she gray out anymore?
her mom at 13 was still a stealish gray with lighter shades too

See less See more
#6 ·
ma'ma i'm not trying to start anything but i found a pic of what her mom looks like if you would like to see (it is not her mom as the breeder will not send me any pics as i bought val for 50$)
We are trying to get her weight back up..the trainer we used really worked her to hard.
we have her on everything possibly without colicing her we just got her back for the 4th time last week

#8 ·
Her mother could very well have been steel gray at 13 y/o, but your girl is already steel gray at 5, so she's going to gray out faster than her dam.

My gray Arabian gelding was that same color of steel gray as your mare at 5 y/o, and at 13 he's now completely grayed out with fleabites.

A gray horse, no matter how dark, will eventually gray out completely and be white. Doesn't matter if it takes 5 or 20 years, they all gray out.

#13 ·
Yes, Casper's rather spooky, but he's gotten much better over the years. He needs a very confident handler, because he takes his cues from his rider. If the rider's nervous, so is he. If the rider is self assured and calm, so is he.

You haven't had your girl that long, and she's young. Arabians take longer to mature, especially mentally. They're wonderful horses though, and love people.

#14 ·
Yes, Casper's rather spooky, but he's gotten much better over the years. He needs a very confident handler, because he takes his cues from his rider. If the rider's nervous, so is he. If the rider is self assured and calm, so is he.

You haven't had your girl that long, and she's young. Arabians take longer to mature, especially mentally. They're wonderful horses though, and love people.

thats how she is my cousin is very confident and can do whatever with her but she snaped both bones in my arm so i'm scared of her

#17 ·
He's fleabitten, which means his base coat (chestnut) is showing through the gray. Since your mare is black based, if she fleabites hers will be black.

Not all gray horses get fleabitten but a lot of Arabians seem to, especially the purebreds. Casper has pure Polish breeding.

#19 ·
With arabs I have found you have to earn their trust you need to get control over your fear and sometimes we just dont ever click with them have ou thought about an older been there done that dead head confidence builder? I speak from someone who has had an issue of a few crashes one being on my husbands mare that horse and I just dont like each other under saddle on the ground she respects me under saddle she is a pita I had a chance to get Dusty my older steady gelding he has taught me so much and my fears are gone I have so much confidence now.

#20 ·
Most Arabians will completely gray out by the time there 15, your girl has already grayed out a lot so she will most likely not stop.

Here is Sparky at two years old. I have seen a few baby pictures of him and he was almost black when he was born.

And here is what he looks like now at 10 years old.

In all my years I have only seen one Gray Arabian in person who has not lost his steel gray color over the years, his name is Dana Valenti and he is 9. Here are a few pictures of him that I took from this year and last year.

But looking at how much your girl has already changed I'm about 99.9% sure that she will not stop graying out. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.