The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Does anyone here ride in an endurance saddle? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/does-anyone-here-ride-endurance-saddle-89927/)

steedaunh32 06-24-2011 08:01 PM

Does anyone here ride in an endurance saddle?

Like this?

Tucker Equitation Endurance Saddle - eBay (item 250843540283 end time Jul-02-11 20:06:07 PDT)

I am sooo 50/50 whether I want to focus more on western or english. I know I can do both but I really would like to make a decision and work as a rider in that discipline; I have a 12yo OTTB mare who is amazing and knows more of both styles than I do (but I am more experienced riding western). She's a great mover and knows lower level dressage, and I feel like I'm not tapping into our potential as horse and rider.

Ok I got a little sidetracked :-) But I'm looking at new saddles and saw this endurance one with english rigging and just wondering what others experiences have been with these? And I'll take any advice/opinions/recommendations on choosing a discipline to focus on! I didn't realize it'd be such a difficult decision.

tinyliny 06-24-2011 10:50 PM

That looks like a cool saddle. Are you saying you might get it and do dressage in it? Most endurance saddles are designed for the rider to have a lot of freedom to move around in them so won't give you the kind of support that a dressage saddle will. However, for trail riding, when you may want to stand in the stirrups sometimes and such, it looks really nice.

Do you have to make a decision now? Perhaps if you rode her a bit more to see what her natural inclination is.

LadyScarlet 07-01-2011 09:35 PM

Endurance saddle

I have an Abetta Endurance saddle and I LOVE it, I love the way it feels, I love the freedom. I would choose and endurance saddle over any, however I ride western, I have never rode in an english endurance :)

Gidget 07-07-2011 03:01 AM

I have a friend with that same type of saddle and she LOVES it!

I have a treeless endurance saddle and love it. You can change to english leathers and irons or fenders and stirrups..it's really cool.

RATHER BE RIDING 07-07-2011 09:14 AM

My best friend has that saddle and loves it. So comfortable!!! She had both an english and a western saddle, as she rides both disciplines, but chucked them both and only rides in the Tucker Endurance now. She is currently looking for another horse and one of the criteria for even considering to buy it is that her saddle has to fit it. She will give up the horse before she gives up the saddle.

longdistancejunkie 08-27-2013 04:33 PM

I know this thread is old but just wanted to know if you ended up purchasing this saddle. I am looking into this saddle as well. I have rode western all my life and when I started doing endurance I went with a treeless but have found it causing too many problems for my horse. I do love the close contact feel of the saddle. I do want to be able to post and have lots of freedom with my legs but like a bit of security rather then going with an English saddle :D

Joe4d 08-27-2013 04:58 PM

I ride in a Bayou plantation tucker.
Tuckers are made for walking horses. While they can work for other breeds they arnt ideal for alot of posting. I am using it now as thats what I have for my new arabian, but as my trotting skills increase and I get him in shape a bit I'll be looking into a more suitable endurance saddles.
I know tucker likes to use "endurance" saddle in the title. But really they ARE NOT endurance saddles any more than some of the heavy western saddles with the horn cut off are.
They should really be called plantation saddles. Very comfortable easy trail riding saddles on big comfortable gaited horses. can cover long distances at a relaxed pace.
They tend to be heavy and as mentioned not ideal for trotting light bodied arabians and covering ground at speed.