The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leads and Barrelracing????

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Baylen Jaxs 
#1 ·
Hey I am Baylen! I am new obviously lol:D..... I have this just turned 10 Arabian mare that is stocky well built and very speedy! I have recently started to train her for barrels..............Thing is I have never done Barrels before:/ I have gotten her to move and disengage her butt and got control of it she moves off pressure she's soft in the mouth sidepasses and so on. Leads......thats another story! I have never had lessons, I know how to tell what lead they are on a can feel it but I do not know how to make them take the right one. I am wanting something simple lol although I know that is not going to happen. So please please anyone who knows leads and can give me tips...Please help?

#4 ·
Before you can train a barrel horse -- or a jumping horse -- or a cowhorse -- or a ????? horse you have to learn basic horsemanship first.

To take on training a barrel racing horse and not get a neurotic crazy unridable idiot, you have to learn how to ride and you you have to ride very well.

What you are attempting is like saying I am going to buy a race car and start racing it -- when you don't even know how to drive. It is just not going to happen without the proper foundation being carefully laid. Your chances of succeeding without ruining the horse and your confidence are nil. Find a trainer that will let you work for them for nothing or get a year's lessons at the rate of 2 or 3 a week. You just have to learn to walk before you run -- literally.

#5 ·
Before you can train a barrel horse -- or a jumping horse -- or a cowhorse -- or a ????? horse you have to learn basic horsemanship first.

To take on training a barrel racing horse and not get a neurotic crazy unridable idiot, you have to learn how to ride and you you have to ride very well.

What you are attempting is like saying I am going to buy a race car and start racing it -- when you don't even know how to drive. It is just not going to happen without the proper foundation being carefully laid. Your chances of succeeding without ruining the horse and your confidence are nil. Find a trainer that will let you work for them for nothing or get a year's lessons at the rate of 2 or 3 a week. You just have to learn to walk before you run -- literally.

Though I have never had any lessons....I have a friend who did and taught me some, and I have been riding for 15 years. Though you are right I do agree with you. I have a couple friends who are heping me....I am looking for a trainer but. In the mean time I was just looking to improve her training as I was the one who broke this mare. Thank you for your advice though. I do agree :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.