The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Won't Stand!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/wont-stand-9002/)

MaryMooCow22 05-15-2008 08:48 PM

Won't Stand!!!

My guy Sage will not, and I mean will NOT, stand still for me. I was grooming this afternoon, and took him out to the cross ties, and he wouldn't have it. He would stand for two seconds, then try and turn around, go forward, move sideways....even if it meant running me over in the process! I tried walking him up and down the aisle, outside, and just around so he could get rid of some energy, but that didn't work, either. :?

What can I do?

Abby 05-15-2008 08:57 PM

I would tie him up somewhere safe, and then grab a bucket, a bottle of pop, your cellphone and a magazine. Then you relax, read a magazine, chat with friends, sip your pop, and let him learn to stand still and be patient while keeping a mindful eye on him to make sure he stays out of trouble.

LadyDreamer 05-15-2008 10:24 PM

I'd take him out and work him briskly. "Okay, you want to move your feet, then MOVE 'EM!" When you are done making him work, take him back. If he still wants to dance, then go out and do it again.

horsestar8100 05-16-2008 04:31 AM

Soooo agree with LadyDreamer. Once had a horse like this, spoiled by children, worked her butt off before I tied her, than I got in her face once because she dumped a saddle and the blanket on the ground. That was the last straw. Popped her on the butt, made her back up and free longed her more. After that she stood like a perfect angel..... Go figure :roll: . Let him know that it isn't okay to move around like he has ants in his pants. Moving around to get comfortable once, after 30 minutes of standing there is okay. But not every milisecond.

farmpony84 05-16-2008 09:20 AM

I am with Abby. And I know this forum is heavily into the Parelli stuff and I believe they will disagree, but the fact of the matter is, your horse needs to learn to stand and the best way to do it, is tie him. Alot. I mean, 1/2 to an hour a day. He'll learn.

Dumas'_Grrrl 05-16-2008 10:26 AM

I agree. tie him up. if he won't stand work him....then tie him again. He WILL learn patience.

Micki O 05-16-2008 10:54 AM

Henry my TB hates to be tied. He has gone through break away halters like candy and even pulled a post out of the ground once BUT if I just clip a 4 foot lead to his halter and let it hang he will stand statue still for 45 + minutes at a time. Don't understand it but I am grateful!

NorthernMama 05-16-2008 12:00 PM

I agree with the "tie-him-up" group. I had a 3 yr old stud that had never been taught to be tied at all, never mind stand still. He learned in the space of an hour. I used very strong rope, on very strong anchors and let him struggle.

Depending on the situation, you may want to work him up gradually to standing tied for longer and longer times. How old is he? What are his manners/training like otherwise? Will he stand OK when you aren't grooming him? Maybe it's a grooming thing.

Getting a horse tired and then making him do something doesn't teach the "something"; it only teaches them that they don't have to do it until they want to, IMO. That's not good enough. If you have a horse that you have to tire out to work with, that horse is gonna end up in very good shape!

MaryMooCow22 05-16-2008 01:17 PM

Wow! Some great ideas!

Northernmama--he's 5 years old. He stands fine when I groom him in his stall or when I tie him up to to a hitching post or something like that, but he hates the cross ties.

Dumas'_Grrrl 05-16-2008 02:26 PM

Some horses are just claustrophobic and won't ever like the crossties.