The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Pony's frog is falling apart- farriers, anyone; help! And White Lightning? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/ponys-frog-falling-apart-farriers-anyone%3B-90037/)

MoHoofPrints 06-26-2011 10:33 AM

Pony's frog is falling apart- farriers, anyone; help! And White Lightning?

Hi guys. I'm desperately hoping someone can help me out here. My little pony is seriously prone to thrush. He was bought with horrible thrush, lame, feet bleeding, tons of treatment. Then was better, though still always prone to it. He gets it on and off and it's usually manageable. We buy Go-Dry mastitis treatment and use the syringe-y part to squirt in the crack of his heel inside his foot. But if it gets wet for a while, it gets worse, and hunks of his frog come apart and fall off.

Now, I'm not sure but it doesn't seem like this is normal shedding- it falls off so that you can see the white spongier part of his foot and, usually near his heels, he literally has no normal black tough rubbery frog; it's gone. Right now, on his front right, that happened but to almost all of the frog! There's less than an inch of actual tough black stuff, just near the point of the frog. I'm at a loss for what to do! He was off on Thursday, sound yesterday, but I'm scared to ride him because if he steps on something I'm worried it will just pierce right through his foot.

He's not shod, and other than the Go-Dry, I diaper wrap his fronts after I pack them with sugardyne. On Thursday I tried to soak him in warm water, betadine and epsom salts with little luck, and yesterday I rewrapped his fronts, this time with cotton soaked in betadine. I'm at a loss for what to do.

Here are my main questions, I guess: (1) Do you definitely think this is because of thrush? There's no smell or black ick, but I know those aren't always apparent when thrush is working on a foot. (2) What on Earth do I do? Am I doing the right thing, or no? Help! :-( (3) The product that seems to have the best reviews online for bad cases of thrush, not just a little bit of black gunk, is pretty consistantly White Lightning. Can I have some oppinions and personal experiences with this stuff?

I wicked sorry about how long this is, but thank you so much! Any ideas or oppinions on what to do would be great. If you have any questions just ask! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Kymbadina 06-26-2011 01:29 PM

:( I was told betadine and iodine soaks. But I know Epsom salts pull out infection.its hard to tell without pictures :( that go dry should clear it up perfect without the sugardine. Maybe try just the go dry? I had to use it when I bought my gelding and he had thrush bad in the uh sulcus? IR bulb of his heel area. It was gross but cleared up quickly with the go dry.
Posted via Mobile Device

loosie 06-26-2011 07:52 PM

Hi,

Without pics & more info, don't know whether it could be or not, but I would first suggest to get your vet to rule out canker - when you're mentioning bleeding & spongy material, it sounds like a possiblity & one you need to treat very seriously.

Assuming you've ruled out canker, in addition to whatever you're doing to kill the infection - it can be bacterial or fungal, so use a broad spectrum treatment... Provide at least some areas of dry ground for him - putting down round(not sharp) gravel in his hangout & feeding areas is good. Also soaking his feet in salt water helps dry them out, as well as the salt being good for the infection. Dusting his feet with lime &/or liming the boggy areas(if that's feasible) can also help.

Another big thing that ponies often miss out on is exercise. Getting him out & about, pref on firm, dry ground is great for developing helathy feet. However, if he's uncomfortable, he won't be using his feet properly - eg his sore heels will keep him 'tippy toeing' which won't help him, so you'll need to take measures, such as boots & pads for eg, to keep him comfortable while exercising.