The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Morgan cross parking out naturally? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/morgan-cross-parking-out-naturally-90079/)

IslandWave 06-26-2011 11:23 PM

Morgan cross parking out naturally?

My Morgan/QH pony often stands parked out when she is standing in the crossties. She does it before and after I ride her. It looks comparable to how a horse moves to a comfortable standing position. She moves her front hooves forward and her hind hooves back. The right and left hooves are perfectly even with each other.

I've only owned her for 4 months and I don't know her medical or training history. To my knowlegde she was just a western trail/backyard horse. She is between 8 and 10 years old. She seems to be perfectly healthy and although I have not had a vet check her out yet, I do have several very knowledgeable and experienced horse people/trainers around me and they haven't seen it as something terribly wrong/unhealthy.

She used to be short-strided. I had my farrier watch her go and hoof test her since I was worried that she had previously foundered. There was absolutely no reaction to the hoof testers, even when he got out the heavy-duty pair. So we ruled that out, but put front shoes on her just to test it out. She has become much more confident and is no longer short strided or unwilling to spend time and put weight on her front hooves.

However, she still parks out. I'm not sure if she does this when out in the pasture.

Could there be something seriously wrong with her? Or do some Morgans naturally stand like this and I'm just being a worried horse owner? :?

IslandWave 06-29-2011 01:56 PM

Maybe I should have put this in the "horse breeds" section?

Alwaysbehind 06-29-2011 02:05 PM

It is not likely (though I suppose possible) that she parks out just because.

The people I know with horses that have been taught to park out do not experience them stretching out in cross ties, etc.

I would guess there is a pain issue some where (or you are signalling her to park out and you do not realize it).

Delfina 06-29-2011 02:23 PM

My Morgan occasionally parks out in the cross ties. He was trained to park out (he was bred to be a halter horse and his breeder taught him) but I have no clue why he does it occasionally. It seems to be more of a nervous thing for him as the few times he's done it is when there was a crowd of people around him.

No idea, I have no clue what the signal to park out is and I am not encouraging it. He hasn't done it in quite a while.

IslandWave 06-29-2011 11:16 PM

I have no idea if she was ever trained to park out...

If this is a pain issue, what are some things that parking out with indicate? Where do I begin ruling things out?