The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Biotin only supplement? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/biotin-only-supplement-90195/)

tpup 06-28-2011 07:00 AM

Biotin only supplement?

My horse's feet are chippy near the nail holes and he is losing shoes from time to time (he has a big overstep and bell boots help some, but not all the time). Farrier noticed slower growth in hooves than most, and this horse is already currently on:

Platinum Performance CJ
Smartvite Senior Grass
Cocosoya Oil

And he eats a healthy diet of: 12/12 turnout on nice pasture, few flakes of premium alfalfa, 6 lbs. TC senior per day, 3 lbs. Genesis feed per day (crimped oats based), soaked alf. cubes and soaked dengi (2-3 lbs. per day mid day with lunch) and 2 lbs. Legends Omega Plus per day (flax/rice bran based fat supplement feed....25% fat, high calorie at 1800 cals. per lb.), 2 big scoops of soaked beet pulp w/molasses per day

yes, he eats quite a bit but he was a hard keeper due to grade 2 ulcers (mid-treatment right now with Gguard) and he can't chew "regular" hay, hence he is on the Standlee prem. alfalfa compressed hay which is super soft and he consumes well.

Despite the above, I did my own analysis and all of the above are still pretty low in BIOTIN. I want to up his biotin without adding more copper, zinc, lysine - he gets plenty of that in the above, and I don't want to over-supplement him. He is already gaining from treating the ulcers, and looks amazing otherwise (nice muscle, very shiny coat from the Cocosoya I think!)

Does anyone use a product that is JUST biotin? The "Farrier's Formulas" and similar have the other minerals.

orangetictac 06-28-2011 04:25 PM

Animed has a supplement called Biotin 100. It's supposed to have 100mg of biotin, which I think is probably a little much (when comparing it to the biotin levels in other formulas), but could be pared down by giving a half dose anyway. I can't seem to find info on other ingredients it may have. I saw it this morning on a site (can't remember which) and was really annoyed that they didn't have a good description of it and only a photo of the front of the container. I can't remember the price, but it seemed very reasonable.

orangetictac 06-28-2011 04:27 PM

Found it!

AniMed Biotin 100 - Horse.com

7.95 for a 2.5lb container and 14.95 for a 5lb.

And another site with better info on it.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/biotin-100-powder.html

Rachel1786 06-28-2011 05:42 PM

I have my horse on BioFlax 20 - Horse Hoof Supplements from SmartPak Equine also just looked at the supplement posted above, and it says it's 100mg/lb I'm not sure what it works out to in the recommended dose, but I can't imagine it's very much(If it had 100mg in it I would switch) The stuff I'm using is 20mg of biotin per dose

orangetictac 06-29-2011 08:45 AM

I've been looking at BioFlax20 and until I found this one that was the one I planned to try. I'm not ready to try either yet though. I've made so many changes in their diet this past month that I'm going to wait until Christmas to see if that's enough to get them going. How long have your horses been on it? Have you seen any results?

~*~anebel~*~ 06-29-2011 10:35 AM

In some places it isn't actually allowed to sell just biotin, like where I live.
I have the same issue with my horse's diet and what I found is leaps and bounds. It's basically just biotin and some water soluble vitamins. They don't have a website though which sucks. But I highly recommend the stuff if you can find it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rachel1786 06-29-2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangetictac (Post 1080755)
I've been looking at BioFlax20 and until I found this one that was the one I planned to try. I'm not ready to try either yet though. I've made so many changes in their diet this past month that I'm going to wait until Christmas to see if that's enough to get them going. How long have your horses been on it? Have you seen any results?

I have had my OTTB mare on it since September, When I got her at the end of May I pulled her shoes and her feet were chipping a lot and just overall week from the shoes. She now has very nice feet(she was never tender on rocks or gravel until this new farrier trimmed her, and probably pared her sole, so now she is tender). I can't say for sure that it's the biotin or just time, but I do think that it helped her feet grow stronger and healthier(along with an overall healthy diet)

orangetictac 06-30-2011 09:28 AM

@anebel...that's interesting...what do you suppose the purpose of laws like that are? Are there cons to biotin that prompt those types of laws?

@Rachel...thanks! That sounds like exactly what I was hoping it would do for my two. I'm still going to wait to see if the change in diet has the affect I'm looking for, but I'll continue to keep that in mind. :)