The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   career in equine photography? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/career-equine-photography-90220/)

Hunterjumper18 06-28-2011 12:55 PM

career in equine photography?

Hey guys I'm considering a career in equine photography. I horses are my passion along with photography so I figure putting the two together would be something that I would absolutely adore! Does anybody here do equine photography? If so how did u guys get your business started?
Posted via Mobile Device

JustDressageIt 06-28-2011 01:08 PM

Subscribing - will reply later.
Posted via Mobile Device

MIEventer 06-28-2011 01:11 PM

You should send a message to HalfPass - she's an Equine Photographer and an exceptionally good one at that. Rise your questions with her, she'll be very helpful.

CecilliaB 06-28-2011 02:14 PM

Be prepared to travel! I am a custom natural light portrait photographer.....I don't do equine photography because it requires so much time away from home and I have 2 small children.

Indigosblue 06-30-2011 04:59 PM

we just had one at our barn do a riding school "picture day"... it was great! You'll have to cover LOTS of shows, the lady said she was booked the whole season. You'll need a website to order pictures from, so get some web skills =P Travel is big, as well as weekend and extended events. You need to be personable and be able to interact with riders and screaming mothers at shows. You'll also need to do well in stressful situations, and maybe dangerous ones too, if you go down the stallion photo route. People skills are a big, big plus, they will get you customers, and keep them. hope this helps =)

VelvetsAB 06-30-2011 08:21 PM

There are a lot of equine photographers getting out of the business because of photo theft as well.

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk...raphers-88014/

ohmyitschelle 04-28-2012 10:49 PM

I have a friend who is currently studying photography... although for years she's been taking creative, accurate shots of the horse, people, animals and landscaping etc, through the course she is doing and getting in the bigger, more expensive equipment, not to mention learning how to edit photos in unique ways, her work has become in my opinion rather flawless. Her business is currently small, but does well enough and is getting quite a lot of attention over here.

Her main issues have been getting in the equipment to support her career. It hasn't been the cheapest but she's finally set up rather well.

I wish you all the best in your career choice!

homehorsetraining 04-29-2012 06:55 PM

It is a really tough business to try to get into - for all the reasons mentioned above. I would recommend starting it as a side business while you are doing something else. You can see if you enjoy it and see if it is something you can be successful doing. There is no reason it can't just be a fun hobby that brings in some extra money until you decide if you can make money doing it full time!

Daisy25 04-30-2012 09:49 AM

It's not just equine photographers that are struggling right now...

ANYBODY trying to sell visual images is having a tough time competing with cell phone cameras, Photoshop, and cheap downloads. As more and more people have access to the above - they are less and less inclined to pay good money to a photographer.

If you decide to pursue this as a career - you'll need to keep all of your expenses as low as humanly possible in order to make ends meet. So keep an eye on your bottom line - don't over-invest or borrow a lot of money and always spend wisely.

Good luck!

Paul Turner 05-02-2012 06:41 AM

am interested in equine photography too. I like some of the responses that have been posted on this thread as I am contemplating whether I should give this a serious thought or not. Combining my two passions is something that would be amazing but I do not want to get into something that I might regret later.