The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Using a Pelham in Open show on Green pony hunter? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/using-pelham-open-show-green-pony-90221/)

Eclipse295 06-28-2011 12:13 PM

Using a Pelham in Open show on Green pony hunter?

I will be showing a green pony in hunt seat at an open non-rated show, The show is all ponies, and I will be competing(I really shouldn't call it competing as it is more for experience) mostly against younger kids, inexperienced riders, and green ponies. However the pony I am riding has a tendency to be kind of flighty and has occasional melt-downs when something is extremely overwhelming. She doesn't try to be bad but has had a rough life(before I could think of starting her under-saddle I had to get her not to freak out if somebody touched her or waved at her) So I want a little more control if she gets scared out of her mind(she is getting used to the unexpected but still spooks at times).

I was planning on using a pelham with double reins using only the snaffle unless I need the curb rein. Yes I know how to use double reins, and I have used them before but not on her.

My question is can I use a pelham on a green pony in an open show in hunt seat? I normally use a french link loose ring on an English bridle or a half-cheek driving snaffle on a western bridle.

Alwaysbehind 06-28-2011 01:22 PM

I do not see why not.

Being an open show you never know what the judge might think but I do not see any real reason why you can not use it.

wetrain17 06-28-2011 02:34 PM

Normally non rated shows are much more lienant on those types of things. I would take another bit just in case you find out that you can not ride with a pelham. Also i would take another bit, because hey! ponies are ponies and you may not need the pelham. It all depends on how the pony's mood strikes him/her that day.

maura 06-28-2011 03:01 PM

It is absolutely legal to ride with the pelham. And if you're riding in an over fences class, no one will think much of it. In a flat class, some judges are going to wonder why you feel you need the pelham. (I'd probably be one of them.) If your pony otherwise hacks beautifully, then it will have no effect on the judge's opinion. If you pony is strong or rushy or has a little meltdown in the class, that will probably mostly just confirm the judge's first suspicion.

If it gives you an extra measure of confidence that you can handle whatever happens on show day, then by all means, use it.

Tamibunny 06-28-2011 03:13 PM

Just to add... if you havent already, I would school pony at home in the pelham so the first time she feels that chain she doesnt spazz out. That would suck at a show. I have seen it happen.. not pretty, anyways....
Who knows maybe the pelham wont work they way you want or will be too strong.....? food for thought

Oh another thought... I had a pony who was a freak if the wind blew the wrong way... my bit of choice on him was a slow twist d-ring snaffle.. worked wonders for me.

maura 06-28-2011 06:08 PM

Agree with TamiBunny.

DO make sure you school in it a LOT at home.

I've seen the same interesting things see has; one, a horse that went beautifully and lightly in one for a half an hour until the first time he hit the curb chain and ran backwards shaking his head; and a horse out foxhunting who locked up and refused to move forward,

VelvetsAB 06-28-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maura (Post 1079786)
It is absolutely legal to ride with the pelham. And if you're riding in an over fences class, no one will think much of it. In a flat class, some judges are going to wonder why you feel you need the pelham. (I'd probably be one of them.) If your pony otherwise hacks beautifully, then it will have no effect on the judge's opinion.

Is it considered "wrong" to do a flat class in a pelham?

Would it be ok to use two reins that are curb rein size, for less bulk in hand, or does one rein HAVE to be bigger then the other?

(Sorry OP for adding questions)

Tamibunny 06-29-2011 09:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No its not consider to be wrong.. but one of the things hunter judges look for is suitability. And in a flat class with a competent adult rider it may make the judge think twice. Or it may not, depends on the judge. Personally if i was judging; as long as the pony is going around nicley and looks happy, its all good.
Alot of ponies go in pelhams with the little kids but they dont use double reins they use one of these connectors.

Alwaysbehind 06-29-2011 10:14 AM

Eeeek.

Do not use a cheater strap. Please!

If you want to use a curb chain with one rein then use a kimberwick. If you are going to use a pelham use two reins.

VelvetsAB 06-29-2011 10:19 AM

But why, for an adult, would they think twice about it?

Would it be ok to use two reins that are smaller, instead of one larger rein, and one smaller? Or does it HAVE to be one larger one smaller? I recently bought a braided rein that is much bulkier, and would like to get the same rein, just in a smaller width size.