The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Urgent: Sap removal? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/urgent-sap-removal-90283/)

Indigosblue 06-28-2011 10:42 PM

Urgent: Sap removal?

hello!
i've got a show coming up and my mare decided to get covered in sap on her neck. So my question is, what is the best way to get rid of it? I can't let it grow out, i have no time as the show is this weekend. The spots look like dirt, so it would be very bad to go to the show with a "dirty" neck. Any tips?

i've heard of nail polish remover as a way to get rid of sap... but i don't really want to use nail polish remover on my horse!

waresbear 06-28-2011 10:48 PM

Yay! I finally have some "qualified" advice to give. In 1995, I was published in "Horse & Rider" magazine for sap or as we call it "pitch" removal solutions. Peanut butter, or margarine removes it, smear it on, rub it in and let stand for a bit so the oils can lift off the sap, bath thoroughly cuz that spot will appear more greasy or shiny then the rest of the coat. In fact, I would actually put a dollop of shampoo directly on the removal spot, scrub & then rinse.

heartprints62 06-28-2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1080286)
Yay! I finally have some "qualified" advice to give. In 1995, I was published in "Horse & Rider" magazine for sap or as we call it "pitch" removal solutions. Peanut butter, or margarine removes it, smear it on, rub it in and let stand for a bit so the oils can lift off the sap, bath thoroughly cuz that spot will appear more greasy or shiny then the rest of the coat. In fact, I would actually put a dollop of shampoo directly on the removal spot, scrub & then rinse.

Awesome info waresbear! I was going to suggest the ice cube trick, hadn't hear of pb! Good to know!

Indigosblue 06-28-2011 11:12 PM

Thanks you waresbear!! I'll try it as as soon as i see my mare again. I'll use margarine, i think she would try to eat all the PB if i used it... she loves to lick!

whats the ice cube trick? In case the butter doesn't work..

by the way, would it be ok just to sponge off the area with shampoo? The barn is sorta under construction, so bath options are limited, lol. She's really shiny already, so i think she'll be fine without a full bath, although her mane could use a rinse =)

thanks again!

AQHA13 06-28-2011 11:20 PM

I seem to remember that baby oil has worked for me in the past...

waresbear 06-28-2011 11:57 PM

Yes, aqha, if I am bathing & don't want to run into the house to get "food" supplies, it will work in a pinch, just that it runs and does not concentrate on the "pitch" spot as much as the butter will. And yes, Indigo, you can spot wash. Ice cube trick is for gum in your hair, freezes it and it peels off, but the butter will work, haven't seen it not work yet. My horses always have pitch on their bodies, I live in the green forest, lol.

myhorsesonador 06-29-2011 12:12 AM

hand sanitizer. Only thing I will use. My jack russell gets coated with sap all the time on these evil pines.

Indigosblue 06-29-2011 12:14 AM

cool, thanks so much again! this is the first time any of the horses i have owned have been turned out in a forest... my mare is normally OCD about staying clean, but she probably hid in some trees for the thunderstorm, lol.

waresbear 06-29-2011 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhorsesonador (Post 1080396)
hand sanitizer. Only thing I will use. My jack russell gets coated with sap all the time on these evil pines.

ooooh I like this one even better, no oily gunk to wash off. Thanks, next time I will try that.

myhorsesonador 06-29-2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1080407)
ooooh I like this one even better, no oily gunk to wash off. Thanks, next time I will try that.

yup just goop some on, then wipe clean with a rag. My Jack is white so you can tell when he had sap on him because he had "clean" spots. :P