The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Worst Fall In A While. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/worst-fall-while-90299/)

ChingazMyBoy 06-29-2011 02:31 AM

Worst Fall In A While.

Firstly, I have spent most the afternoon debating if I should post this or not, please do not prove to me that this was a bad choice. I just felt like I needed to post this, possibly as a bit of a rant? I don't know.

This morning, I decided to ride Chinga – however, it was rather windy so I choose to lunge him first. After giving him a good half an hour lunge, I figured he was good to go. I know half of you are now wondering why I rode my horse in the wind. Possibly using the term “setting him up to fail”. I did this, because when I show – the weather is not always sunshine and lollypops. I decided to only give him a walk around. I was very careful about what I did and paid attention to our surroundings.

Although, Chinga still managed to spot something I didn’t and spooked at it. He backed away quickly, losing his balance and using a small rear to steady himself. However, this did not go the way he planned and he lost his footing and tumbled down sideways landing on me.

Chinga seems okay, I checked him over - legs, back, etc and did not show any signs of pain. But I do plan on getting the chiropractor out for a routine visit. So I might just push that forwards a bit. I'm okay, just pretty sore all over and a bit shocked. His been going so well recently and I hope an issue like this doesn't set him back.

Please remeber - no critique, advice, etc. Chinga has not reared in almost a year now and in general is not a spooker.

apachewhitesox 06-29-2011 02:38 AM

Well I hope you are ok. I don't think there is anything wrong with riding him in that weather. Just like you said the weather isn't always nice at shows and you would need some practise. Even if it is just walking around.

ChingazMyBoy 06-29-2011 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apachewhitesox (Post 1080551)
Well I hope you are ok. I don't think there is anything wrong with riding him in that weather. Just like you said the weather isn't always nice at shows and you would need some practise. Even if it is just walking around.

Thankyou.
It was very odd behavior for him, the wind wasn't even that strong and he was lunged before hand. I guess he was just having one of those days. I plan to do some extra despooking with him now. I would much rather this happen at home then out at a show.

RedTree 06-29-2011 02:56 AM

No one can predict what a horse will do, you came out of that situation really well, it could of gotten a whole lot worse.

glad to hear your okay and your getting a chiro out as well

apachewhitesox 06-29-2011 03:17 AM

That is good to hear :D

LetAGrlShowU 06-29-2011 12:38 PM

I dont think you did anything wrong by riding him in the wind. If I have a saturday ride on my mind, and i wake up and its windy.... guess what? I'm still going to ride. ESPECIALLY if my horse hasnt given me the reason not to.

I'm glad to hear your ok. Thats one of my biggest fears- my horse losing his footing and falling on me. Its good to have the chiro out just in case, but it sounds like it was just a freak accident.

tinyliny 06-29-2011 01:58 PM

What's to critique? Your reasoning for riding on a windy day sounds reasonable to me. I dont' because I am a wussy, but I should !

Glad you are ok. That must have been a scary experience; one of my worst nightmares is having the horse fall on me.

Poseidon 06-29-2011 02:06 PM

Count me in too for having a terrible fear of a horse falling on me. I've known 3 people in the last 3 years to have that happen to them, 2 in the past month. All three of them were in the hospital right afterwards: one with a fractured skull, one with a lacerated spleen, and one because she was unconscious for about 5 minutes afterwards and was throwing up while unconscious. The last one, thankfully, ended up being completely fine, she just has no real memory of what happened. The other ones spent a decent amount of time in the hospital.

I have never heard of riding during a windy day as a bad thing. At the summer camp I work at, we ride in the wind all the time because in North Dakota, most days are windy. We have, however, canceled all activities for a day in the past due to wind, but the wind was about 50mph... But most days, it's just wind.

I'm very glad you're okay.

MHFoundation Quarters 06-29-2011 02:15 PM

You weren't wrong to ride in the wind. Mine choose to be out even on the windiest crummy days, they all have access to their stalls from their runs or a lean-to in the big pastures.

I've had a horse on top of me twice in my life. First time was on slick ground & my mare lost her legs (I was being a reckless teen, it was my fault) ended up on top of me, got 6 cracked ribs from it. Second time had one go down in a subsurface hole (groundhog tunnel) to his knee and we both somersaulted. That was last year, I was 30. Dislocated shoulder from that one. I was fortunate both times.

Be glad it wasn't worse. Glad you are both okay!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

lilkitty90 06-29-2011 02:35 PM

Chingaz you weren't setting him up to fail by riding when it's windy, if that was the case then most of do set out horses up to fail, i am glad you and chinga are ok though!

to make you feel better i also had one of my worst falls last week, i was riding skip around midnight ( we were camping out, and we rode over the the nearby barn to geta bag of corn to boil) skip is the calmest horse we have so i carried the plastic bag ( now note, i know he is scared of bags.. we are working on that. i also knew before hand) he was perfectly fine with the bag at a walk, and a light jog, but the other girls took off loping away and he wanted to lop, and since he was ok at the trot i figured what the heck, and i let him go, well the bag on the saddle horn spooked him and he took off spinning and bucking, i managed to stay sitting for 8 of the 10 bucks, i hit my head on the saddle horn as well as getting scraped and bruises all up my sides and thighs. and skip ran off leaving me laying in a field with the bag of corn, luckily the girls realized i was down and came to find me, i was fine and skip was fine i rope him back home and he rode completely calm after that. i swear he was a bronc in his past life though! i set skip up to fail, and of course i paid the price for that, so now it's time to get him used to bags so that situation doesn't arise again!