The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   One rein stop (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/one-rein-stop-90369/)

heartprints62 06-29-2011 05:51 PM

One rein stop

I have noticed a LOT of questions about the technique of the "One Rein Stop" so I thought I would post some videos that demonstrate how to teach and apply this "Emergency Brake".
(I would of made it a Sticky, but I wasn't sure how... if someone can do that, PLEASE do!)
__________________________________________________ ___________

This first video is a little lovey-dovey, but the information is great and the technique is applied very clearly.

Another good video, demonstrates the stop clearly, she is adamant about yielding the hindquarters.

This guy is VERY informative! GREAT example! Long video, but a must watch and learn! If you only watch one video, let it be this one! Actual spooking horse at the end to show you what it truely looks like. (Disclaimer- IMO, the woman at the end could have executed the stop a little better, however it is more true to life by showing when applied the first times, it is not going to be picture perfect like in practice!)

This video is fully of great information, his technique is a little different, more adapt to the people that may be in a situation where spinning a circle is not an option for an emergency stop. It's basically a step-two method once the horse has the hang of the idea.

This is one step past the stop, riding with one rein, also packed with great info. Even if this isn't something your interested in trying, watch the video for the information.

For those of you wondering how to teach a horse to flex (because the one rein stop sort of hinges on this whole concept!) this video is very simple but shows the result you are looking for.
(Note: If you have a stall like shown, back the horse into the corner and pull the head around until the horse "gives to the pressure" is the goal. The corner is an easy way to keep the horse from moving his back end away. If you are out in the open, stand by the girth of the horse, one hand on his withers and pull the horses head toward you. He is probably going to walk in circles for a minute, just follow around with him (WATCH YOU TOES!) As soon as the horse stops and gives even slightly to the pressure, release the pulling hand. Reward and continue. As always, teach to both sides.)

The second training step after flexing is yielding. This demonstrates a perfect hind yield w/ back legs crossing. You don't have to use the training stick, if you prefer, the end of the lead rope works just as well. (More than one way to skin a cat!) Forequarter yield needs some work in video, but you can get the idea. Forequarter yield is not neccessary for the one rein stop, but good for a horse to know.

If you think "My horse doesn't run away, he bucks!" Here is your video!

cakemom 06-29-2011 05:55 PM

I was just teaching my daughter this technique yesterday as she's begun riding my fiesty butted mare a bit.

heartprints62 06-29-2011 11:47 PM

It is such an important and live saving tool. I have just been amazed at all the people that have never heard of it!
Good for you, cakemom, for teaching your daughter!

Cindy Z 07-03-2011 04:08 PM

I can honestly say that this was one of the first things I was told to learn when I started trained my young horse. It has literally saved my life a few times!Great videos..great post! Thanks for sharing heartprints62!

Allison Finch 07-03-2011 04:49 PM

I almost never use the one rein stop. When using that technique while at speed, it can result in a horse falling and rolling over the rider. I have seen this.

I use the emergency stop, or cavalry stop. This allows the horse to stop straight and eliminate the horse rolling. I also find it far more effective, especially at speed.

heartprints62 07-03-2011 05:58 PM

Allison, the pulley rein is a good tool as well, I will not negate that.

The problem I find with the pulley rein lies with a horse that will run threw the bit no matter how hard you pull. The second problem is that many small riders (like children) lack the upper body strength to execute this maneuver.

I have seen horses fall as well. In each case, the horse was at full speed and the "One Rein Stop" was not preformed correctly by the rider. There is some skill involved, practice makes perfect! I say that to say this for those that do not know:
The one rein stop is a tool to KEEP the horse from ever getting to full speed! It is to be used at the moment the horse begins to bolt/buck.
If a rider find him/herself past that point and atop a runaway horse, the pulley rein is a great tool to know! The one rein stop can be used on a horse that is "runaway" but it has to be done slowly so as not to throw the horse off it's feet, so to speak. A horse will follow it's head (usually) and when it's head begins to pull sideways, it's feet will slow down to follow. All the cases I have seen of a horse falling and/or rolling because of this stop was because of rider error.

Thank you for posting this video as well, it is also another effective tool!

bsms 07-03-2011 07:13 PM

Both tools are good to know. A one rein stop doesn't work on all horses. I've had a horse gallop full speed with his nose an inch from my knee. They do not always turn.

Some say training will overcome that, but if a horse is responding to training, why not just stop him? Still, I have used it with my mare and had it work.

The pulley rein has some real advantages. Done correctly, it requires very little body strength, and works where a turn isn't possible. [I've been told a correctly trained horse will respond to a one rein stop without actually turning...guess I've never been on a well trained horse!]

However, the last time my mare bolted:

A) She started the bolt with an unexpected leap upward over an invisible jump. During the first few seconds, I was too busy staying on to use any particular cues.

B) Although I've used a pulley stop with her before, I had a strong feeling that it wouldn't work on this bolt. Don't know why, but I had both room to turn and a strong feeling that something very bad would happen with a pulley stop, so I turned her. I believe that in an emergency, trust your instincts - the subconscious mind works faster in response to multiple stimuli than the conscious mind does.

C) Frankly, telling her "Easy" in a soft voice while forcing my legs to relax seemed to have a stronger impact on her than anything else.

I recommend practicing both techniques in a controlled environment. Mid-bolt is a bad time to think, "How do you do this?"!!!!

Cindy Z 07-03-2011 09:05 PM

Good info. And yes, it depends on the horse. I have never, nor would not ever reccommend, a one-rein stop if there was another option. I agree, go with your instrinct. Esp. if you know your horse. My mare is very athletic, and very capable of running in a full circle with her head literally in her a** without falling. Sometimes she amazes me with her stength and athleticism. Makes her fun to ride but also always keeps me thinking and paying attention to her. And I have worked hard to keep her always paying attention to me! Fortunately, a young horse is a malable thinker and can be taught to be responsive with subtle cues. But this leads me to another question if anyone has a thought..in the round pen or on lunge, she can very easily go thru w/t/c and back down..or whatever you want her to do. But in the open, when increasing her from a walk to trot , there is a split second I have to watch her to ensure she doesn't take off like a bullet. Why am I having such difficulty getting her to a regular canter? She is a very eager forward-moving horse anyway. She just seems to have 2 speeds at times....off and hi. More training..? More lunging? Letting her burn off energy in the round pen first? We "review" basics all the time and she is very responsive and cooperative. But again, once out...she just wants to RUN!

MyBoyPuck 07-03-2011 10:46 PM

The one rein stop is fantastic...if you practice it before you need it. My horse never makes it into full gear because we do the one rein stop in our sleep. We practiced it so much at all 3 gaits, that it's just automatic when he suddenly gets loopy, I immediately get him back to me. I never had to worry about making a big circle and throwing him off balance because the fire's out before it has a chance to start. I am at an advantage because I only ride my own horse. It makes having an emergency brake as second nature an option.

Mehtala09 07-04-2011 01:57 AM

I love the one rein stop!!!