The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   magnetic sheets (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/magnetic-sheets-90388/)

farmpony84 06-29-2011 09:44 PM

magnetic sheets

I was thinking about getting a magnetic sheet for Riley. Does anyone have one? When do you use them? Show weekends? Always? Sometimes? How do you like them?

kitten_Val 06-29-2011 10:05 PM

FP, not sure what you mean by "magnetic sheet", but my trainer got Back on Track sheet (and I got their pad for winter riding). Can't really speak of horse (didn't have a chance to try pad :wink: ), but their human back support (made with same technology) definitely works (several people tried it).

farmpony84 06-29-2011 10:24 PM

This one is 200 bucks but I've found them as low as 80. It is supposed to help with soreness I geuss. I've seen them at the horse shows. I was wondering if it would help w/ Ri's hip issue.

Magnetic Sheet - Magnetic & Heat Therapy from SmartPak Equine

He's on Smartflex III already and I was going to research some type of poultice as well...

farmpony84 06-29-2011 10:29 PM

This is the other one Dura-Tech® Magnetic Sheet in Stable Sheets at Schneider Saddlery

kitten_Val 06-29-2011 10:41 PM

My trainer is using this one: Back on Track Ceramic Mesh Sheet < Magnetic & Cold Therapy < Horse Blankets & Sheets|Dover Saddlery. She said its great. BUT its very costly too. Unfortunately I don't know about those you posted - never run into someone using it... :(

farmpony84 06-30-2011 09:10 AM

I've seen them at shows but I don't really know anything about them and I've never talked to anyone about them....

wetrain17 06-30-2011 09:26 AM

I know several people who use the Back on Track sheet. Their horses seem to move out easier in their warm up. I'd say it does make a difference, but I would imagine results vary from horse to horse.

~*~anebel~*~ 06-30-2011 10:21 AM

Back on track is ceramic, not magnetic. It's heat therapy.
I've never tried magnetic blankets but th back on track stuff works for me personally.
If you are serious about the magnets then I wouldn't bother with the mesh sheets with fridge magnets sewn on. If there's a registered massage therapist in your area some of them are affiliated with centurion (?) And they have a big blue, battery powered blanket that is quite powerful. Rmts will usually let clients use them or rent them. I think they might also do IR therapy which is godly. That's what I would recommend though.

Good luck!

Eta I Googled it and no IR but they are pricey if you're renting from dover or other. They get very good reviews though!
Posted via Mobile Device

farmpony84 06-30-2011 10:36 AM

How do you use the back on track stuff? just a few hours when you feel like you need it? Overnight at a show? I'm really ignorant on this. I have concerns over the early onset of arthritis. Riley fractured his hip at around 6 months and it took nearly a year to heal. One of the things I was told would be a concern with him was arthritis in that hip. I have him on Smartflex Ultra III and was going to talk to the vet about any other things I could do to keep him healthy and happy.

The magnetic sheets had a write-up in a magazine and looked pretty neat but I don't know which brands are best. I don't know I've even read about ceramic. I am planning to set up a chiro/accupuncture appointment soon. Most people think I'm crazy for it but... Oh well... crazy I may be....

nrhareiner 06-30-2011 10:48 AM

I have a full set of magnet wraps and blankets. Rarely use them as I have all the Bioscan stuff now and it works 1000000 times better then the magnets.

With the magnets you can only use them for so long and then they start to do the opposite of what you want. Also depending on how strong the magnet is will determine how long you can leave them on and how well they work.