The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Tail paralysis, and held to the left? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/tail-paralysis-held-left-90565/)

Rachel1786 07-01-2011 09:24 PM

Tail paralysis, and held to the left?
 
I used to own this horse Skip, I had him for over 2 years(until 06/07ish). He was a bucker and I got pregnant so I gave him to a friend who would be working with a trainer, she had him for a while but money ran out and instead of doing the right thing and offering him back to me, she gave him away again. I had no idea what happened to him until January when I started taking lessons at this stable and there he was lol. He is owned by a young girl and they area great together(although he still bucks, and yes, both myself and his current owner have done vet checks and chiropractor exams on him).
Now for the interesting part. It seems that Skip cannot lift his tail, he poops all over himself, and his tail is set to the left. Now I guess it's somewhat possible that I just never noticed this, but I think I would recall having to clean his but often and neither does my friend who had him after me. The vet doesn't know why is tail is that way, she had speculated that maybe be was a show horse and had the nerves deadened to keep him from swishing it. But obviously if it wasn't that way when I had him that isn't the case. Does anyone have any idea what could cause his tail to be this way? Or know a horse who's tail is that way, regardless of if you know why. I just find it really strange. I have pics and some videos of him from when I had him but I can't tell is tail position from them.

Saddlebag 07-01-2011 09:27 PM

Is it broken? It happens. Xrays should be taken.

farmpony84 07-01-2011 09:28 PM

Sounds like calcium build up. Does this girl show the horse in the breed shows by chance? It is illegal to dock a tail but it happens and that will cause calcium build up. It also could have been broken at some point...

Sorry, just re-read and you touched on what I was thinking. It really does sound like calcium build up which can be surgically fixed.

Rachel1786 07-01-2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1083560)
Is it broken? It happens. Xrays should be taken.

I don't think so, the vet examined it. She has had him for 2-3 years and it's been that was as long as she's had him, so even if it was broken at some point there isn't anything they can do now. except re-break it and set it, but that would just be cruel lol

Daisy25 07-03-2011 11:46 AM

Hmmm....

Considering the history of bucking....my guess would be a pinched nerve or some kind of pressure on the spine.

The tail is the very end of the back bone, and if there were some kind of issue there at the end of the spine - it might very well account for BOTH the bucking and the problem with the tail. That horse must be experiencing some kind of discomfort in the rear end area (besides the build up of manure...).

Just my .02...

Daisy25 07-03-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel1786 (Post 1083557)
I The vet doesn't know why is tail is that way, she had speculated that maybe be was a show horse and had the nerves deadened to keep him from swishing it.

It's also possible that the nerves were "deadened" in an attempt to fix whatever was causing the pain/pressure that may have been leading to the bucking...

Rachel1786 07-03-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daisy25 (Post 1084613)
Hmmm....

Considering the history of bucking....my guess would be a pinched nerve or some kind of pressure on the spine.

The tail is the very end of the back bone, and if there were some kind of issue there at the end of the spine - it might very well account for BOTH the bucking and the problem with the tail. That horse must be experiencing some kind of discomfort in the rear end area (besides the build up of manure...).

Just my .02...

But if that were the case wouldn't the vet or chiropractor discover the problem, when I had him I had numerous adjustments done on him even tho the chiropractor said his back was fine, it never helped. The girl who owns him now, her parents don't have a lot of money for more extensive tests then what they have already had done. Everyone, including the vet thinks his bucking is just a learned behavior. The lady who gave him to me told me that he only bucked her once and she "got off and beat his ass". When I first started riding him I'm pretty sure he didn't buck, it wasn't till after he'd gotten to know me. He also only does it in an enclosed area, never on the trail. He also only bucks at the walk or trot, never at the canter, sometimes he bucks while mounting(only time he ever bucked me off) he's a strange horse, he's old and set in his ways, I think he's about 25
Posted via Mobile Device

Daisy25 07-03-2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel1786 (Post 1084702)
But if that were the case wouldn't the vet or chiropractor discover the problem, when I had him I had numerous adjustments done on him even tho the chiropractor said his back was fine, it never helped. The girl who owns him now, her parents don't have a lot of money for more extensive tests then what they have already had done. Everyone, including the vet thinks his bucking is just a learned behavior. Posted via Mobile Device

In some cases, bucking IS a learned behavior...

In other cases, bucking is a response to pressure.

I once knew a beautiful show horse who developed a terrible "habit" of bucking. When he couldn't be "trained" out of it - the vet was brought in and then numerous specialists. Turned out to be a problem with the position of the nerve at the point where the leg meets the spine.

They determined that when the horse attempted certain movements, he was feeling a sharp pinch at the back, and responded with bucking.

When you mentioned the tail problem in addition to the bucking - it made me think of that horse...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0