The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Picking up the right lead (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/picking-up-right-lead-90591/)

AngieLee 07-02-2011 09:54 AM

Picking up the right lead

i'm having trouble getting my gelding to pick up the right lead for the lope. he can do it. when i was riding him at his old home it was never an issue. i think i remember him picking up the wrong lead 3 times in the months i was riding him there.
At our new home i can count the amount of times he's picked up the right lead when i ask him to lope.
As far as I can tell he's not sore, his back is fine, his feet are fine. I do have the vet coming out on Monday to give him his boosters so i'm going to bring it up to her.
So assuming the vet gives him the all clear (if she doesn't i'll obviously focus on that before anything else) is there anything I can do to help get him to pick up the right lead? i usually ask him in a corner so he has a natural bend because i was told that can help them pick up the right lead. i'v asked him after backing up so he engages his back end into it, i'v asked him in a straight line. i even thought maybe he just wasnt a fan of our riding arena (its not huge) so i tried in a feild. he got it once in there and the other time he didnt. but i'll have to focus on getting him top go stright in the feild.
I'm thinking i might borrow someone elses saddle and see maybe thats it? maybe he doesnt like my saddle? My instructor gave me one of hers to try but it doesn't have the strap to attach the girth to the saddle so i cant exactly try a new saddle if i can't cinch it up....

Sugestions anyone?

p.s. I had someone else ride him and she couldn't get him to pick up the right lead either

AngieLee 07-03-2011 01:17 PM

commom guys please

Spyder 07-03-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngieLee (Post 1084683)
commom guys please

Ask for the right lead off of a pirouette to the right.

AbbeyCPA 07-03-2011 04:07 PM

Have you changed his tack at all since riding him at his old home? If not, I'd like to assume saddle and bridle fit is not the issue if he was picking up the lead before - but I would not completely rule it out.

If you've been riding him less, it could have him a bit rusty as well if you changed your schedule at all.

Have the vet do some flexion tests, while he or she is there. Some chiropractic work may also be needed. If all health and pain related issues are ruled out, consistantly working on his leads (with the excersize mentioned in the post above, or asking on a 10 meter circle, then continuing on a 20 meter circle so he doesn't swap back onto the left lead on the wall) should do the trick :-)

bubba13 07-03-2011 10:34 PM

Circle him into the lope. Allow him to pick up the wrong lead, then turn him tightly to the right (this requires some skill and practice, so don't do it if you aren't comfortable and can hold him up to prevent a fall) so that he has to switch leads. When asking for the right lope, tip his nose in to the right, "elevate his shoulder," and push up with your inside leg.