The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   leg yeilding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/leg-yeilding-9063/)

farmpony84 05-17-2008 06:48 PM

leg yeilding

ok.. not to sound stupid... I understand leg yeilding and i can do it with my boys, but i use my calf. my trainer is training my 2 year old and she's telling me to put my weight in my hip. I understand I really do... I can't make my body do it. I can't figure out HOW to make my body do it!!!! Any suggestions??????

Dumas'_Grrrl 05-17-2008 09:38 PM

Ok... I just yielded my chair like 5 times and my weight automatically shifts to my hip. The only way I could yield my chailr without shifting my weight was to tence up my butt muscles so I could move my calf feely without shifting. Maybe you need to relax your butt and focus on moving your calf with your ankle. Bottom up instead of from the knee down. I don't know if this makes any sence to you but my chair has now learned to yield nicely :wink: Hope I helped!

farmpony84 05-19-2008 09:12 AM

that's what i'm supposed to be doing dumas, putting my weight in my hip, not my calf! How'd you do that????

Dumas'_Grrrl 05-19-2008 02:12 PM

You have to be picking up your entire leg with a slight rotation in your hip to be able to yield and NOT put weight at your hip. You are still sitting square on your butt and swinging your leg.
1) sit in a chair with 4 legs. if it has a hard seat even better.
2) yield as you normally would, pretending the front leg of the chair is your horse.
You should be able to notice that your butt doesn't move on the hard chair.

Now stop a moment and take a deep breath, :D

This time try using your ankle to yield with. ( i am always barefoot in the house so it may be different with shoes on.) I "think ankle" but my calf actually hits first.
When I do it i roll a bit to the side, nothing major just a slight weight shift. (i'm using my right leg to explain this) I can feel my weight shift past center (by crackie! :wink: ) to my right cheek. I guess technically my spine has to move a bit too. Just a small move tho.

To the best of my limited knowledge the horse will begin to anticipate the cue for yeild by the shift in weight as well as the tap.
The weight shift says "ready" and the tap says "go"

Let me know if this makes any more sence. If not I'll try again! :D
(my chair is really getting good at this!!!! :wink: ) j/k

farmpony84 05-19-2008 02:49 PM

ok, i feel like a dork but i'm doing it! LMAO... I'm giong to try it on a horse next!!!! THANKYOU!

Dumas'_Grrrl 05-19-2008 03:02 PM

My husband walked by me the first time I replied to you and looked at me like what the hell are you doing? I just said "what? I'm jhelping someone out! " He just laughed at me! :roll: You are most welcome! Hope I helped!

PoptartShop 05-20-2008 02:01 PM

LOL you yielded your chair. :lol: Ah, good practice!!