The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   ...how old is too young? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/how-old-too-young-9065/)

aslanzroar_ 05-17-2008 08:13 PM

...how old is too young?

A friend of mine just purchased a two year old OTTB filly. To say the least, she was unsuccessful, not fast enough, at least. So my friend bought her, and turned her out to pasture for a few months to let her settle. Of course, she knows walk/trot/canter, ect. but my question is, is she too young to ride? No jumps or anything, just, pure english riding?

mudypony 05-17-2008 09:02 PM

I personally think it is best to wait until the horse is three yrs old to begin under saddle training and then once the horse knows how to w/t/c under saddle to put them out to pasture for a few months and then get back into training. This is just my opinion and I know that everyone does it differently. I would say to wait a year and just work on ground work right now and ground driving and lunging. Just be careful with lunging because it is hard on the horse's joints especially with younger horses.

Also, tell your friend good luck with her new horse. TB's make awesome riding horses.

PoptartShop 05-17-2008 10:35 PM

I agree- that's a bit too young. Just keep doing groundwork, though- that's fine. :) I say start around 3-4 years old.

aslanzroar_ 05-17-2008 10:44 PM

that's what i thought to. I'm glad you guys agree, because I wouldn't want any soundness issues in the future (like I've seen in a lot of horses started too young). and i will, thanks. I've got a tb myself, and let me tell you, she's absolutely, fantastic : )

JustDressageIt 05-18-2008 01:45 AM

Bring her back slowly, it's a good idea to let her unwind for a number of months. Plus, as a personal opinion, I don't like to see any horse started before it's 3... and then it goes deeper than that; is the horse really tall? Still developing? Then I'd wait even longer.

jazzyrider 05-18-2008 03:37 AM

i agree that she should be left a while before bringing her back into work. they are broken way to young so giving her some time to be a horse would be good.

it would be a good time to work from the ground and basically start from the beginning with her. although she will w/t/c she will must likely only do so comfortably on one side usually the left. the opposite side can be terrible. generally they are taught to go really fast in a huge circle :) they arent generally very well broken at all and have no concept of giving to pressure/the bit and flexion isnt a concept they are familiar with :) ground driving would be a good tool for her

i would definitely do only groundwork with her focusing on letting her be a baby :)

ILuv2ride 05-19-2008 08:34 AM

i would agree with 3 to 4 years before training. But if your friend can work on there trust together. Like lead work. giving treats. And other things to build up trust so it will be easyier to break. Also maybe try lunging the horse. But dont overwork her.

hunterequlover781 05-27-2008 03:55 PM

Every horse matures differently. Some horses are both mentally and physically mature enough for riding at 2, while some are not. It depends on the horse and it's personality.

Janine 05-29-2008 07:50 AM

I think the best age to start with is after they've turned 3. Get them used to carrying the rider to give them something to "think about" and then give them some time again until they're nearly 4 to start proper work.

kchfuller 05-29-2008 02:39 PM

like everyone else stated, it's probably best to wait till she is three ... i have a 4 yr old ottb and she is amazing but i have taken everything really slow with her .. we do a lot of ground work and flat work, she will be 5 at the end of this month (happy birthday to her:) ) and i just now started walking over polls and will be introducing LITTLE X's to her next week or so ... like ones that we can walk over and trot over ... anywho with the off the track ones it's a good idea to get a lot of bonding time and even doing some ground driving and lounging to get them supple ... my baby was so stiff and i have to do a lot of big cirlces and figure 8's and serpentines with her to get her to soften up .. anywho i hope that this is helpful! good luck, if you have a good one they can be amazing!