The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Lessons on Stallions? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/lessons-stallions-90650/)

Shenandoah 07-02-2011 06:33 PM

Lessons on Stallions?

So my main riding instructor is going away for a few months. I'm thinking about using the opportunity to take some lessons on a schoolmaster, so that I can really focus on my own body, without worrying so much about what my boy is doing.
One of the places I found uses their stallions for lessons. Would you consider it? Do you think this would be a good or bad thing? Or indifferent?

As for me, I'm a beginner in Dressage, but I've been riding about 27 years, and have owned my own horses about 20 years. But stallions still intimidate me :lol:

VelvetsAB 07-02-2011 07:42 PM

I don't know why people tag stallions as "bad", when some of them can be as well or better behaved then a mare or gelding.

If they are in a lesson program, they would most likely be well behaved animals. If you aren't sure, ask if you can watch a lesson that they are being used in, so you can see, in person, how they are.

I could really care less if it was a mare, a stallion or a gelding. What matters is that its a well behaved horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

Shenandoah 07-02-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VelvetsAB (Post 1084206)
I don't know why people tag stallions as "bad", when some of them can be as well or better behaved then a mare or gelding.

I don't tag them as "bad" - I'm just intimidated by them. Mostly due to my lack of exposure to them.
I've only really known one, and as much of a sweetheart as he was, I know his owner was still VERY cautious about who handled him.

Thanks for the thoughts. I might go ahead and give her a call to schedule a time to watch a lesson.

Sophie19 07-02-2011 08:08 PM

I think it would be a good experience. If you are riding in the context of a lesson then you will have a trainer their to guide you, so you should be fine. Go for it.

waresbear 07-02-2011 08:29 PM

It's not the stallion you have to worry about, it's the crabby mares that attack the poor guy while you are riding one.

spirithorse8 07-02-2011 08:33 PM

Ride a stallion over a mare any day.....mares have 'those' days...LOL

MHFoundation Quarters 07-02-2011 08:33 PM

I use my oldest stallion to give lessons. Most of my students pick him over the mares. He's also one of my 6 year old daughter's daily drivers :)

If they are well trained & well mannered there isn't a reason not to. Go for it!
Posted via Mobile Device

arashowjumper 07-02-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1084247)
It's not stallion you have to worry about, it's the crabby mares that attack the poor guy while you are riding one.

i cant say anything beside that Waresbear is TOTALLY 100% right!!

spirithorse8 07-02-2011 08:39 PM

FYI
I used to own a TB stallion, could walk him around mares in season and he was an absolute gentleman.................course some of the mares were hussies..LOL

Oxer 07-02-2011 10:54 PM

i used to ride my trainers Paso Fino just on the flat. He was a stud, and i hadn't even known until she mentioned breeding him that summer. He was a total HAM!!!