The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Letting Someone Else Ride Your Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/letting-someone-else-ride-your-horse-90703/)

dreamrideredc 07-03-2011 01:32 PM

Letting Someone Else Ride Your Horse

Hi guys!

This really sweet lady would like to start hacking my horse at the barn. I'm waiting to see how often it would be, but I said it wouldn't be much of a problem. I just hate the thought of sharing my boy. I know, that's silly, but he's my baby and I love him more than the world. I said yes because of a lot of reasons: She's a good rider, super sweet, and she let me ride the horse she was leasing.

Plus, as long as it doesn't interfere with our riding schedule (it'll hopefully just be once a week), it's probably good for him to be ridden by a different rider. Maybe on the days she rides him I can come out and hack a different horse, so we can both grow with others and be even better together! :D

Just thought I'd share because it's kind of stressing me out...maybe some similar feelings or reassuring words?

Thanks!

Travellersmom88 07-03-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamrideredc (Post 1084699)
Hi guys!

This really sweet lady would like to start hacking my horse at the barn. I'm waiting to see how often it would be, but I said it wouldn't be much of a problem. I just hate the thought of sharing my boy. I know, that's silly, but he's my baby and I love him more than the world. I said yes because of a lot of reasons: She's a good rider, super sweet, and she let me ride the horse she was leasing.

Plus, as long as it doesn't interfere with our riding schedule (it'll hopefully just be once a week), it's probably good for him to be ridden by a different rider. Maybe on the days she rides him I can come out and hack a different horse, so we can both grow with others and be even better together! :D

Just thought I'd share because it's kind of stressing me out...maybe some similar feelings or reassuring words?

Thanks!

Aw no worries, as long as you are comfortable with the lady and the lady knows how to ride. i bet it will be great! and shoot you have a riding buddy now! i think is a good idea :)

flytobecat 07-03-2011 01:48 PM

I'm letting a kid at our arena ride Mona in drills because his horse is lame (horse was kicked). The 1st time he did it totally freaked me out. I know the kid is a good responsible rider with light hands. Still I was stressing the whole time, and I'm the one who suggested he ride her. Its just not easy letting go.

Skipsfirstspike 07-03-2011 01:59 PM

If you are confidant in this woman, and your horse has no dangerous vices, I think it is a great idea.
I understand why people maybe don't want to share their upper level show horses, but I do not have a problem sharing my horse on occasion.
I remember what it was like to be horse crazy, yet have no horse.
He will always be your boy.
But think of the pleasure you will be providing this other person.

garlicbunny 07-03-2011 03:16 PM

I am not sure how I would feel making a commitment to offer my horse anytime, but I do know if she is a good rider etc, then it would be ok except I would suggest that when you want to ride her, then if she was planning on riding the same time and or day then it is obvious to me that you should get to ride your own horse.. It wouldn;t make sence to ride someones else's horse because someone is riding yours..imo..

usandpets 07-03-2011 03:32 PM

It can be both good and bad. It can confuse the horse if you don't use the same cues. It is good for the horse because it would need to pay better attention and not be used to just one rider. We let others ride our horses but we are with to instruct them how to ride our horses. I am always concerned and would feel bad if they were to get injured.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jessabel 07-03-2011 06:45 PM

I have this weird thing about people touching my horse when I'm not around. The thought of someone else riding my horse makes me die a little inside, especially since we moved the horses home and I'm the only one who handles them. :evil: Terrible, I know.

I suppose it could be good for you, assuming you trust this woman and you're confident in her ability. I would work out a set schedule and figure out who gets the horse when, so there's no confusion and you always know what's going on with your horse.

kitten_Val 07-03-2011 08:23 PM

I'd love someone else could ride my horses (given person knows how to ride of course). Unfortunately it's probably not gonna happen any soon...

Brighteyes 07-03-2011 08:29 PM

That sounds like a lovely idea. I wish someone would ride my mare! I don't like horses who are only use to one rider, generally. I know that I may have to sell my mare one day and I want her to be comfortable with other people who have a slightly different way of riding.

HeroMyOttb 07-03-2011 10:32 PM

If you trust the person it could be a great thing. Have you watch her ride your horse before??

Only proably 4 people rode my horse. 3 of them were family or friends that never rode and just wanted to get lead around..so not really rode. Only one other rider rode my horse with permission when I wasn't there and I expected many updates throughout the ride! But that was like only twice.