The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Trailer Inspection? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/trailer-inspection-90749/)

Ray MacDonald 07-03-2011 09:19 PM

Trailer Inspection?

Who does trailer inspections? Where can I get it done? How much would it cost?

farmpony84 07-03-2011 09:38 PM

In the US you can take them to any place that does car inspections. I think it's like 16 bucks or something like that. Not sure about Canada though...

Ray MacDonald 07-04-2011 03:47 PM

Wow Really? I hope it's like that here!

churumbeque 07-04-2011 05:30 PM

If you are looking for an inspection for purchasing and looking at condition you would take to any mechanic or trailer dealer I am guessing they would charge you by the hour and check it as extensively as you wanted

outnabout 07-04-2011 09:31 PM

Before buying I took mine to a trailer repair and they did a thorough inspection. I am in Texas.

Ray MacDonald 07-05-2011 01:48 PM

We don't have a trailer shop of any kind around here :(

It is an inspection for the trailer we already have.

Alwaysbehind 07-05-2011 02:47 PM

What type of inspection are you looking for?

In NY you have to have an annual safety inspection on a trailer, just like a car. You can take it to any mechanic who does inspections and it costs the same as your car inspection.
Almost no one does this though, since the inspection sticker is not required to be displayed anywhere on the trailer.

If you are looking for a true 'how is my trailer holding up, do the bearings need packing, are the brakes OK' type inspection I would ask a trusted mechanic if they know of a place that will do trailer inspections (they just might do it for you).

waresbear 07-05-2011 03:29 PM

Ray, in Canada, call your motor vehicle branch or dept. of transportation office, and ask where.

Ray MacDonald 07-06-2011 03:40 PM

We have a sticker on it that says it needs to be inspected, and I would also like to be reassured that it is safe.

Thanks, that's a start, but I'm not really sure what exactly that would be LOL I'll ask my parents about that!