The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Finding horses to lease (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/finding-horses-lease-90777/)

atreyu917 07-04-2011 03:27 AM

Finding horses to lease

We all know websites like equinenow.com are good for browsing horses to buy, but does anyone know a website or a good place to start when looking for leasing options? Every once in awhile I will come across a for lease ad on Craigslist or by word of mouth but is there some place I can get a consolidated list of horses for lease in my area? This may just be a shot in the dark haha. I appreciate any information!
I'd like to buy, but I think leasing is a better option till I'm settled and done with college for obvious reasons!

atreyu917 07-04-2011 09:05 AM

No ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device

littleamy76 07-04-2011 10:09 AM

My only suggestion would be to call the local barns in your area.

Daisy25 07-04-2011 05:14 PM

Most of the time, leases are made available to lesson students...

If you are looking for a private lease, then your best bet is probably watching Craigslist and your local papers. (Iwanta, for example.)

Good luck!

HannahFaith 07-04-2011 11:58 PM

I have a horse for lease. He's in SoCal but he can move.

email me if youre interested

hannahfaith5692@hotmail.com

kathyk 07-06-2011 02:50 PM

The barn where I was taking lessons offered me the opporutnity to lease a horse with option to buy. My issue is that I can't afford the full board yet. For $200 a month I get unlimited use of a lovely little buckskin or an arab/appy cross. I coordinate with the barn manager when I am coming and we make sure the horse I want to ride is not overworked. It works out very well. I also pay $35 every other month for the farrier and up to $100 per YEAR in vet expenses. They cover all other costs and have the option to use him as needed for lessons or trail rides. It helps them during the winter months, they have fewer lessons, and my money essentially pays his hay/grain bills.

I can exercise my option to buy at any time with a contract for a year's board. This is useful to me because these horses are for sale, if they get a potential buyer, I have first refusal.

amymarie57 07-06-2011 03:03 PM

Try calling some barns in your local area and ask if they have any horses for lease. Most barns will have multiple horses for lease so you should have a good selection :-) then ask if you can stop over and test a few of them out to pick the one you want to lease

tinyliny 07-06-2011 03:06 PM

some tack stores have a kind of listing. could ask there.
Word of mouth works surprisingly well, though.

atreyu917 07-06-2011 03:51 PM

Thanks guys for all the tips! :D I'm hoping I really can do this in the next 6 months or so, now that I have some good and steady income :)

gigem88 07-06-2011 04:06 PM

dreamhorse.com has everything for sale, at stud or lease. They even have a missing horse section.