The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Grey/White horses and mud (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/grey-white-horses-mud-90785/)

GypsyRose 07-04-2011 09:25 AM

Grey/White horses and mud

2 Attachment(s)
Good Morning, I own a flea bitten Appendix mare and she loves to roll in the mud and dirt, I have a heck of a time keeping her clean. I this normal for grey horses? In the past I have owned darker colored horses and they rolled yes, but didn't try to keep themselves covered in mud! I always say she wants to be a paint at heart and is giving herself the paint coloring. Posted a picture of her clean and dirty. And in spring and fall she looks more like the dirty picture even though I brush her everyday! (sometimes twice a day)

Beauandme 07-04-2011 09:36 AM

OMG - I have the same problem with my Grey TB. I just thought it was him - now I know it is others out there!!! It must be a Grey horse thing - they have an inner horse wanting to be a brown horse???

SEAmom 07-04-2011 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Lol, it's a desire for all horses to ultimately be brown from rolling in dirty. Fortunately, my grey 3 yo hadn't yet expressed an interest in wanting to ever roll, but he will watch his friend's do it
Posted via Mobile Device

Cat 07-04-2011 01:39 PM

Apache does that all the time as well. Summer time is really bad when he is sweaty and then rolls and that dusty dirt just cakes on him.

Courtney 07-04-2011 04:05 PM

I have this theory that gray horses have some sort of a magnet built into their body that just attracts dirt. It's like white t-shirts and cherries. Even if you didn't eat cherries that day, somehow, you're going to have a cherry juice stain on your shirt.

hillree 07-04-2011 05:21 PM

Haha my Arab/paint ALWAYS - never failed - rolled in dirt after every bath. He tried his best to cover his white spots. XD

lovemarcy 07-04-2011 07:15 PM

i had the exact same problem with my grey TB! i swear he could find the wettest, blackest mud/dirt spot and COVER himself in it. He would even get it between his ears! Lots of baths and bluing shampoo (i mixed mrs stewarts bluing with cheap shampoo like suave)

apachewhitesox 07-04-2011 07:35 PM

Haha I don't think it's a grey thing I think it's a light coloured horse thing. My palomino is the same. He is down right feral and he gets all proud of himself :D. I find it's worse though when he rolls in sand because you don't he is covered in sand until you touch him.

serafina 07-04-2011 07:41 PM

ROFL - after looking at the paints and greys in my lesson barn this morning, I thought that when I find MY horse, he will not be some flavor of white! They were all FILTHY.

The chestnuts and bays were filthy too, FWIW. My trainer thinks that horses use mud like elephants do (to keep bugs off).

Scoope 07-04-2011 10:36 PM

serafina - I was thinking something similar in that some animals use it as a kind of sunblock. Greys are often more prone to burning , so maybe there's something in that?