The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   New lease situation presented itself (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/new-lease-situation-presented-itself-9084/)

missy06 05-18-2008 04:21 PM

New lease situation presented itself

First off, thanks to everyone so far for their patience as I pepper the forum.

I didn't think this would play out as it has, but a high school girl has been trying to sell her 8 year old Pintabian mare with no luck. I had e-mailed her awhile back, curious if she'd consider a lease, and she said she would. I went to ride the mare yesterday, and she's lovely. She has the most beautiful gaits, has had some great natural horsemanship training in saddle and on the ground, and is very responsive. I know she'll w/t/c, unlike the other mare I really liked.

They can't have her kept at their home anymore, so if I were to lease her I would be picking the facility of MY choice, paying her full board plus a $50/month fee to her owner. Does this sound reasonable? Because they'd be trailering her for me and all that, they're also asking that I commit to a year's lease with her. None of this is a red flag for me, except is makes me SO nervous because I've never owned a horse before and the only other time I leased I was riding 2x/week and the mare stayed in the facility she'd been in. I don't know much about horseownership (but obviously this would be a great crash course) and I wouldn't be completely liable, because I wouldn't be owning her. I know it's fairly typical to do an off-site lease, I just don't know where to begin!

Help!

Sara 05-18-2008 07:41 PM

With the way boarding prices are right now, that seems like an awful lot to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you'll basically be paying for EVERYTHING (barring vet; I think a 50 dollar a month stipend will cover basic farrier work). And it seems like they want to sell her and the lease would just be buying time. Seems like a bad deal to me, but that's just from the outside:P

twinkle_toes 05-18-2008 08:39 PM

it actually seems like a good deal to me. around here if someone has a full lease they pay the board the farrier, dentist, vet and all other costs plus about $300 - 600 per month to the owner as the lease fee.

Sara 05-18-2008 08:51 PM

Mm, I guess I've just been lucky. Neither my lease in Texas nor the one here in Virginia was that steep.

JustDressageIt 05-18-2008 09:40 PM

I would want to know who is to take responsability of vet and farrier care? If all of that falls on your shoulders, I would back away quickly. However, if you just pick the facility you want the mare leased at, and they'll split any vet or farrier fees, I think it's a good deal.

missy06 05-20-2008 07:14 AM

I think we worked it all out! I was honest about what would work for me, and I get to lease her at their house for the summer (as they're not getting another horse now), and in September I'll get to move her to the facility close to me for the fall and winter for a free lease (I just pay board and farrier). SO EXCITED! This means I'll have the summer to work/learn with her near her owner should I have any questions, and then have the winter to make it a little closer to where I live. And the price is right. :)

PoptartShop 05-20-2008 10:47 AM

I think it'd be a good idea. :D Glad it worked out for you!

irisheyes12 05-20-2008 09:11 PM

Full board AND a fee? Seems pretty high to me but to each his own :) The owner is responsible for farrier costs, not the leasse.

Sara 05-21-2008 10:50 AM

I'm glad it seems like its going to work out for you :)