The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   4th of July Parades anyone? Pics.... (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/4th-july-parades-anyone-pics-90898/)

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 07-05-2011 05:51 PM

4th of July Parades anyone? Pics....

4 Attachment(s)
So our usual group of friends and miniatures had a great time in the 4th of July Parade again this year!
Instead of our local parade, we did a town close by instead. Wow! It is a smaller town, but they had a MUCH bigger turn out! :shock:
There were people lined up for miles, out on balconies and even on roof tops!

The actual route we walked was longer as well, we were out there for 4 hours total, and only 1 1/2 of that was set-up and line-up....
I was very proud of Domino and Kozmo for tolerating 2 1/2 hours of swarming crowds, petting's, and the heat.
People really made us feel appreciated, it was great! Lots of clapping, hoots, and Thank You's as we went by. Made it all worth while. :D

Okay, enough yacking, here are a few pics.....

Domino, this was his very first parade too.
Attachment 68618

Kozmo.
Attachment 68619

Our "view".
Attachment 68620

Hubby snapped a pic of me giving the boys a pep-talk while resting in the shade before the long walk back to the trailer. :wink:
Attachment 68621

Thanks for looking!

What did you do with yours to celebrate?

dirtymartini 07-06-2011 04:05 PM

OMG, soooo cute! Love those spotty little dudes...they are just MADE for parades. So darn flashy! I love the one where you are giving them a pep talk, they look like they are really listening to you...cracks me up!

I will say, once again, I think I am growing more and more envious of where you live. Just seeing little snippets of every day life there...I am feeling a weird gnawing inside...like I just don't belong in this "un horse friendly" place. :( Plus, the beauty of your area...I dunno...just makes me feel funny. I told my DH I want to have a place here for winter, and a place up that way for summer! Of course he laughed in my face and said..."Um, sure honey, now...let's talk about our small bank account and big bills!"

What did we do to celebrate? Well, nothing with the horses! We had plans to visit friends that got a room on the beach at a really nice resort, and watch the firework show on the beach. There were quite a few families from DD's school there, kids running around, parents having cocktails, it was really nice....but I just *knew* my crazy neighbor was setting off big fireworks in the street, and I was worried the minis and the filly would be freaking out. I am happy to say they were 100% fine. We got home and he was still shooting off fireworks and all the horses were not even flinching. Guess they got used to it quick...and it will just be another thing that makes them "bombproof"...almost literally!

BTW, I owe you a PM...I have VERY GOOD NEWS! I am sure you can guess.....:D:D:D:D:D:D

love your pics, as always...thanks for sharing!

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 07-07-2011 01:35 PM

Thanks DirtyMartini!
They did draw an awful lot of attention being the only Appy's in the group. A lot of people were asking what they "were", and wondering where our Ranch was so that they could come visit.

I don't know if we will do Bigfork's parade again, it was pretty taxing on the horses, would not have been as bad if the crowd would have been a little more respectful of our space.
We are more than happy to give opportunities for petting, but they just swarmed in and surrounded us a few times, and it got to be a bit overwhelming.
Never had that problem before in all the years we've done parades.

Not to get way off topic, but....
I think you would LOVE living here, by the way.
It might be a huge adjustment from Florida. Winters are extreme, snow and temp. wise. We only get about 7-8 hours of daylight total, and by daylight, I mean grey, some times foggy light, no direct sun in general. Seriously, can get very depressing.
Summers are of course gorgeous, and we get LOTS of daylight. Sun is coming up at 5am, and it does not get dark out until 11pm. So you take full advantage of the outdoors while you can!
We do have some years where I am terrified of Forrest Fires though.

Being a smaller area, it is difficult to make a living here though.
We've struggled quite a bit over the years, but like the 'ole hubby says, "you can either live where you work, or work where you live".
We bought raw land, put in well, septic, power, fencing, and built every single structure on the place, so we have a lot to fight for.
As hard as it can be at times, I still feel like this is the best place in the world, for me anyway. :wink:

Glad you enjoyed your 4th of July celebration, even if it was equine-free! :lol: Sounds like it was a really nice evening.

dirtymartini 07-07-2011 09:15 PM

hmmm, sounds annoying...but that kind of stuff is par for the course around here. Nobody respects a horse or it's space! I cannot believe the people that zoom by in their cars as horses are riding by. Or idiots that honk their horns at cute girls riding down the street. Aaaahhh, I don't want to sit here and be negative, so I will stop now. Just want to say that I know all about people invading your "space."

Trust me, I do not require much to live...but yeah, my husband's work does require being somewhat near job sites. Maybe one day we can head up your way. Until then, I would like to vacation there a few times...including winter to see if I can handle it! I must be honest, when it is under 50 degrees here...I am pretty miserable! So not sure if I am cut out to tolerate your winters. Then again, if I could, I bet it would all be worth it.

CheyAut 07-10-2011 08:05 AM

Great pics! Love the decorations :) Too hot here for parades in the summer :(

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 07-10-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheyAut (Post 1091584)
Great pics! Love the decorations :) Too hot here for parades in the summer :(

Thanks.
Sorry for the heat there :-(, hope you enjoyed your 4th of July any way!

ridergirl23 07-12-2011 05:58 PM

aww! so cute! Im up in the great white north (canada, lol) But for canada day my barn owner had a fundraiser to get to pan ams hopefully, so we had to dress up our minis in white and red, similiar costumes actually! haha. very cute!!

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 07-13-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridergirl23 (Post 1094569)
aww! so cute! Im up in the great white north (canada, lol) But for canada day my barn owner had a fundraiser to get to pan ams hopefully, so we had to dress up our minis in white and red, similiar costumes actually! haha. very cute!!

Thanks! :grin:

Sounds like you had a fun day too, any pics to share?