The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   To move...or not to move? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/move-not-move-90910/)

DraftyAiresMum 07-05-2011 10:39 PM

To move...or not to move?

Okay, so I am faced with a dilemma.

Aires might be switching stalls at the stable because one of the other boarders is getting another horse and they want their two horses to be stalled next to each other so that they can get used to each other. Fine, I'm that picky.

However, my friend and I were walking around the property this afternoon and realized that there is a huge end stall that is 85% shaded down by the arena that is open. I like it because it is away from the road (Aires' current stall is right next to the road), he'd get used to the activity in the arena (a must of we're going to be doing any kind of showing), and hopefully it'll get him used to stuff going on all around him so he won't be so "OMG! I'm gonna die!" about his right side (right now he stands with his left side to the road and nothing really on his right, so he's extremely flinchy and scared about his right).

Anyway, the downside of this prime piece of real estate is that it happens to be the wettest stall on the property. All the other stalls are slightly uphill from this stall and so everything drains down into it. This would be a significant problem if we lived in somewhere like, say, Washington state, where it rains all the time, but we live in Northern Arizona, where we have monsoons for about a month and a half and where it rains a bit in winter, but nothing spectacular (we had snow twice, maybe three times, this past winter and that was considered a wet winter...but we never get more than a few inches).

So, what would you do? Keep him in the smaller stall (about 30ft by 20ft) that is drier (the stall he'd be moving to is the same size as the one he's in now)? Or move him to the bigger stall (probably 50ft by 30ft) that has more shade, but is wetter?

wetrain17 07-07-2011 12:27 PM

Both of those stalls are large. My horse's stall is 12x12, which is standard size and plenty of room (even for a perch X). The stall your horse is in how is big enough for mare and foal. How is this barn set up? It seems to be unusal to have stalls in a barn that are that large.

Beauseant 07-07-2011 01:09 PM

I'd pick the drier stall.

Better for their hooves.

lovemarcy 07-07-2011 04:49 PM

I personally would go with the driest stall of the two. Keeping a horse in an area where its feet will constantly be wet is a bad idea, as it can lead to fungal problems (thrush).

MyBoyPuck 07-07-2011 06:46 PM

Driest stall.

DraftyAiresMum 07-07-2011 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wetrain17 (Post 1088643)
Both of those stalls are large. My horse's stall is 12x12, which is standard size and plenty of room (even for a perch X). The stall your horse is in how is big enough for mare and foal. How is this barn set up? It seems to be unusal to have stalls in a barn that are that large.

They are outdoor pens with cover, not exactly "stalls" as you would find inside a barn. There are indoor stalls with runs, but they're all taken and they are REALLY small.

Aires got moved yesterday. I don't know why, but I don't particularly care for his stall. He's closer to the action of horses coming and going, which is nice, as any horses that are on that east side of the property have to walk past his stall to get to the saddling area. But I kind of wanted him nearer the arena so he could get used to the action in there. I don't know, we'll see.

Whisper22 07-07-2011 11:22 PM

I had Persia in a stall about six months ago that all the water drained into when it rained and even when it wasn't raining it just always seemed moist. It was really irritating. She always had thrush when she was in that stall. I would get rid of it and it would come right back.

She has since been moved to the stall right next to that one, that does'nt have all those problems. The exact opposite actually. I'm in southern Arizona so I know how it is with the dry dry weather. In this new stall her feet would crack a lot more, as there is absolutely no moisture. I actually dump her trough out inside the stall now to give her some moisture to stand in every few days. I was told that was better for her feet than being bone dry all the time.

I guess my point is, if this stall is bone dry every day that it's not raining, it might be good for your mare to have some moisture every once in a while, as long as it dries back up and doesn't stay moist for too long. Someone can correct me if I am completely wrong about this. That is just what I've been told and my horse has been thrush free for quite some time.