The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Book Recommendations? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/book-recommendations-90911/)

Ferhoodled 07-05-2011 09:48 PM

Book Recommendations?

I'm looking to do some more horse-related reading. I think I want a riding/instruction book and a horse care or health book. Most of the stuff I have now is incredibly basic (e.g., "Horses are traditionally led from the left side" and "This is how to groom your horse"... Yeah, not really helpful for me at this point).

So anyway, I really enjoy Sally Swift's "Centered Riding". I've thought about buying Centered Riding 2, but I wondered if anyone has other suggestions...? Has anyone read it? (I ride english, by the way... mostly a dressage basis)

Also, what about a first aid and health type book or manual? I'd like to be educated beyond "You should have a vet kit", but I don't need an entire dissertation on every rare ailment known to occur in horses. Something in between would be just lovely, and I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Ferhoodled 07-08-2011 09:33 PM

Bump. Any ideas?

serafina 07-08-2011 11:04 PM

Sorry, mate. I find that every time I finish reading Centered Riding, it's time to start reading it from the beginning again... :D Every time I read that, I get something new out of it. I live not too far from where Sally Swift had lessons, and I can't tell you how many times per week I wish that I had known and been in a position to take lessons from her before she passed on. A gift to all of us. I'm subscribing to this thread on the chance someone else provides a rockin-awesome suggestion, though!

Ferhoodled 07-09-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serafina (Post 1090439)
Sorry, mate. I find that every time I finish reading Centered Riding, it's time to start reading it from the beginning again... :D

haha, that's so true. I was looking for some variety, but I certainly could get nearly infinite knowledge from that woman. I know her style doesn't work for some people, but I love it.

I wish she wrote on horse care as well... All the books I've found are either way over simplified, or a stinkin dissertation. Gah, I just want something in between!

MHFoundation Quarters 07-09-2011 01:57 PM

Check out college text swap\used book sites and look for equine studies\veterinary course books.

In the barn now but I can look at my shelves for some titles when I get in this evening.
Posted via Mobile Device

Celeste 07-09-2011 02:25 PM

For a little fun read, check out this:

http://www.amazon.com/Run-The-Good-Race-ebook/dp/B00585CET2
Just a little novel.

tinyliny 07-09-2011 11:51 PM

Again, may I recommend Mary Wanless. "For the Good of the Horse". The info may be more than one can use, but it is all good.

Ferhoodled 07-18-2011 05:33 PM

Thanks, tiny, I'll check it out. (Sorry for the late reply, but I didn't have internet access for awhile.)