The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Limpy after farrier visit (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/limpy-after-farrier-visit-90915/)

Lafitte 07-05-2011 10:25 PM

Limpy after farrier visit

My horse's feet were in need of a trim and he got his feet done yesterday morning. His feet were fine, I didn't notice anything suspicious when leading him back to his pasture but I came back hours later to ride him and he was very stiff (I think is the right word) and limpy and didn't want to put much weight on any of his feet. Is he acting this way because he is trying to adjust to his feet being done and trimmed a lot or is he just having a bad day or two because I went to the barn tonight (a whole day without riding) and he was still the same, limpy when walked in his pasture. Should I ride him tomorrow anyway like normal or give him another day if he's the same? I think it's kinda because of the feet being done because his feet did need to be done. But what's everyone's opinion.

VelvetsAB 07-05-2011 10:32 PM

He was probably cut just a bit short. Give him a few days off, and he should be back, right as rain.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lafitte 07-05-2011 10:43 PM

Thanks VelvetsAB! I'll just wait until the weekend and hopefully he'll be fine.

bubba13 07-05-2011 10:47 PM

You can paint his hooves with concentrated iodine or something like Keratex to toughen them up, and give him bute to ease the pain.

AbbeyCPA 07-05-2011 11:18 PM

Personally, I don't find it common or normal for a horse to be sore after a trim. Having shoes pulled, maybe, but never a trim. If you find he was trimmed differently or shorter than usual, I'd mention it to your farrier next times he's out so it doesn't happen again, and if this has happened more than once I'd be unsure about continuing to use this farrier.

I'd follow bubba's advice, and I'd give him a few days to a week to adjust. You don't want the bute to mask the pain then have him worse later on.

Hukassa 07-06-2011 12:00 AM

I can understand maybe if you horse had its shoes pulled and is barefoot, but if it was just a trim he probably trimmed him a bit to short and I'd be wondering about my farrier. Yes its an honest mistake but if its a routine thing after he visits than I'd be looking for a new farrier. I've had 3 farriers tell me a horse should never be sore after shoeing unless something wasn't done right, and one (with a not-so-good-reputation) tell me it was common. Heck, even my mare that had her hoof caught and pulled off on a cattle guard limps no different after the farrier visits.

Lafitte 07-06-2011 11:21 AM

He's barefoot. This has never happened before and the farrier is a great farrier, we've never had problems in the past or with anyone else horse at the stable I board at.

Lafitte 07-09-2011 11:37 PM

I went to the barn last night (Friday) and he was doing much much better. I rode him today and he was feeling much better.

AvasMom 07-09-2011 11:39 PM

My horse is like this every time after a trim but within a few days she is back to normal, she just needed to toughen her newly trimmed feet back up.

loosie 07-10-2011 03:33 AM

I agree with others that if a horse is sore immediately post-trim, it is likely/probably farrier error. But without much info, who knows in this case & especially as he walked away fine. Could have just been a coincidence, or could have been that the horse was just about unsound before, but not noticeable. Therefore I wouldn't automatically jump to blaming the farrier. Hoof pics & more info on specifics would help get an idea whether there was something amiss with the trim or generally.