The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Double dosing dewormers? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/double-dosing-dewormers-90976/)

JavaLover 07-06-2011 02:46 PM

Double dosing dewormers?

I've noticed lately that my horse is a little bit ribby, tail rubbing, and his belly seems kind of swollen.. time to deworm! He always seemed to be a little ribby after deworming though, so I asked his previous owner what he did when it came time (He owned him for 9 years).

He told me that he gave him two tubes of paste dewormer, and then another 1 and a half 2 weeks later.. I am a little bit nervous about this because I really don't want to make my horse sick. He said that he double dosed it because the horse kept most of it on his tongue and would spit it out. Also, I went out and bought two tubes of Equimax dewormer, which is 1.87% ivermectin and 14.03% praziquantel.. I'm not too sure if it would be safe to double dose. Ps, my horse is in the 1100-1200 range.

Thanks!

Beauseant 07-06-2011 03:44 PM

OMG, NO!!!!!:shock:

Dosing a 1,200 lb horse as if it were a DRAFT size horse is sooooo dangerous! Then to overdose him again two weeks later???!!!

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but this sounds too bizarre to be true! I am sure u have no reason to make this up, but I sure do wish u were! :cry:

tis scary to think that someone could do something so....irresponsible......and deadly.

Cherie 07-06-2011 11:26 PM

Some dewormers have a very broad range of safety. Ivermectin, Moxidectin and Praziquantil DO NOT have a broad margin of safety and need to be dosed very carefully.

Pyrantel Pamoate, Fenbendazole, Oxybendazole (actually any of many dewormers that end is 'zole' are very safe and are frequently used with double or even triple doses. They are given in the high doses to get the immature strongyles.

You should not deworm your horse at all until you have taken a fresh fecal sample into your Vet and had it examined for parasites. Then, you need to use his recommendation as to type and amount of dewormer you need and the time of year it is.

The Ivermectin dewormers are starting to show less effectiveness than they did for many years on some of the parasites. The dewormers ending in 'zole' have lost much of their effectiveness against Large Strongyles (blood worms). Ivermectin is very effective against Bots, but they can only be treated during the late winter and spring months.

Praziquantil is specifically for removing Tape Worms. If you do not have Tapes, it is a waste of time and money and are pretty hard on a lot of horses.

Moxidectin can also be hard on a horse and has to be dosed pretty exactly.

So, it is unwise to just start throwing dewormers at a horse without know which one he specifically needs.

flytobecat 07-06-2011 11:54 PM

I've heard of people worming a horse and the worming them again 2 weeks later, but I would double check with your vet before you do that.
You can make a horse very sick by giving them to much wormer at once or giving it to often.

Alwaysbehind 07-07-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 1088137)
Some dewormers have a very broad range of safety. Ivermectin, Moxidectin and Praziquantil DO NOT have a broad margin of safety and need to be dosed very carefully.

I agree except, Ivermectin does not need to be on that list. You can safely double dose ivermectin.

Deworming practices have changed quite a bit in recent years. With the amount of resistence that the darn parasites has developed and new deworming products not being researched it is better to not just randomly deworm like we used to do.

(Though it does sound like your horse is due with those symptoms.)

It might be best to ask your vet what the deworming protocol is for your area now.

goneriding 07-07-2011 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JavaLover (Post 1087678)
I've noticed lately that my horse is a little bit ribby, tail rubbing, and his belly seems kind of swollen.. time to deworm! He always seemed to be a little ribby after deworming though, so I asked his previous owner what he did when it came time (He owned him for 9 years).

He told me that he gave him two tubes of paste dewormer, and then another 1 and a half 2 weeks later.. I am a little bit nervous about this because I really don't want to make my horse sick. He said that he double dosed it because the horse kept most of it on his tongue and would spit it out. Also, I went out and bought two tubes of Equimax dewormer, which is 1.87% ivermectin and 14.03% praziquantel.. I'm not too sure if it would be safe to double dose. Ps, my horse is in the 1100-1200 range.

Thanks!

Ribby, tail rubbing, and a swollen belly is how you determine if he needs worming?

walkinthewalk 07-07-2011 08:51 AM

Ditto, ditto, and ditto taking a fecal sample to the vet and letting the vet tell you what and how much to worm with.

There are legitimate reasons to overdose horses with wormers but it should NOT be done "just because" someone on a forum said so or "just because" the previous owner decided it was the right thing to do.

I double-dose with pure Ivermectin in mid to late summer if I see I am dealing with neck threadworms.

Neck threadworms are microfiliae from the bites of the same Midge Fly that causes sweet itch; they are not related to neglect in a worming schedule. They do not show up in a fecal count and only sometimes show up in a skin culture. They are sometimes the cause of moon blindness.

I do not double-dose every horse I own, just the ones that are showing me the specific skin symptoms neck threadworms produce. It's something a person learns over time OR ask the vet.

Then there's the Panacur PowerPacks, which I am against but who am I to say. Again -- a subject for discussion with the vet.

Like anything else, under the correct circumstances, double-dosing can serve a good purpose ---- the OP's conditions do not sound like a good purpose and ^5 to the OP for asking the question:-)

The horse might be dealing with ulcers - has it been checked for them? Ulcers will cause a horse to not keep weight on - another reason to not be arbitrarily shoving wormer down a horse as the wormer only serves to aggravate the ulcers and the vicious "skinny cycle" goes on.

JavaLover 07-07-2011 11:00 AM

To GoneRiding, no. Those are definitely not the signs that I look for.. My horse has always had weight issues and his belly isn't completely swollen, and the tail rubbing only started about a week or so, maybe less.

I'm not really new to owning a horse, but dewormers have always confused me.. I went to my vet yesterday and told him all that was going on with my horse and he recommended Equimax, but I'm not sure. I would never ever double dose my horse unless I knew it was completely 100% safe.. I'm not an irresponsible owner, I just figured I'd get some opinions from people who have more experience than I do.

Alwaysbehind 07-07-2011 11:11 AM

Equimax is a good product.

Next time you talk to your vet ask about having a fecal count done.

Tail rubbing can be caused by many things.
Something as simple as dry skin or bug bites for starters. Has your boy had his sheath cleaned lately? (In mares is there a gunk build up between their teats?)

Have you dewormed yet this spring/summer? If not then Equimax (used per the manufactures directions) is a great place to start.

I can totally see how deworming can be confusing. It used to be that you simply rotated and dewormed everyone every six to eight weeks. Now the general thought on that has changed so instead of getting more simple it has actually gotten more complicated.

JavaLover 07-07-2011 11:17 AM

I was thinking that it could be dry skin, but I'm not sure because I've been putting some stuff on his tail that is said to stop itching and it smells like bacon ahah.. the name has completely slipped my mind!

He was dewormed back in May I do believe, so I know he is probably due for another one, and no.. his sheath has not been cleaned lately.