The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   AQHA 94% foundation stallion. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/aqha-94%25-foundation-stallion-90991/)

ilovemyPhillip 07-06-2011 04:20 PM

AQHA 94% foundation stallion.

Now, to start off, I am *not* breeding to this stallion. I'm looking to buy a 2012 foal from him. At the moment, I do not know which mares are bred to him. I do know I like how his foals look. They're bred for cutting/reining. What I'm looking for is a sturdy built foal, and I'd like to do a bit of reining, cutting, dressage, and of course hunters. Here in Virginia, we're mainly Hunter based. I figure all horses can be versatile with the right training. I work closely with my trainer, who breeds hunters. I know a very good dressage trainer I'd love to work with, and I figure I can find a place that teaches reining or cutting. I will not be doing this alone, and I have well over a year to prepare.

Here's the stallion:
http://www.winesquarterhorses.com/si...95-426x568.jpg

Their website doesn't have the best pictures, but if you could browse an give opinions I'd be happy.

index

I have emailed the breeder, Kellie, and I'm sure she's willing to send any information the website doesn't provide. Thanks all.

farmpony84 07-06-2011 04:24 PM

Years ago I wanted to breed to a foundation stud. This one was my dream stud - he has passed but he has a son that is breeding. I loved this horses personality... :(

Westphalia Ranch - Jack (Rest in Peace)

Endiku 07-06-2011 05:30 PM

So what exactly are you wanting? For us to critique the stud?

Poco1220 07-06-2011 05:40 PM

He's definitely a handsome man but be careful looking at a cutting/reining stallion for a h/j foal. A lot of the western horse are deliberately built downhill which is something you definitely don't want in a jumper.

ilovemyPhillip 07-06-2011 05:47 PM

I'm looking for a crit on the stud as well as on his offspring.

Poco: Thank you. I do notice a lot of their foals are downhill, along with the stud.

Endiku 07-06-2011 06:06 PM

in this case I will agree with Poco. Many reining horses are purposely built downhill in order to bring less limitation to their bodies for that specific event, but this factor can be a hinderance when transfering to a different style of riding. He's a lovely animal and his stoutness promises a strong horse, but if you want to pursue dressage at all, you're going to want a more refined animal. A horse like him can spin on a dime or slide to a stop, but quarterhorses sometimes tend to have problems when learning to ride on the verticle because of their musculature. Their bodies naturally muscle very well in the hind, but it takes a lot of work to build up their toplines. Ofcourse, this can be true with any animal, but I have specifically noticed it in the QHs. If you mostly want a hunter, I would advise in looking for a stud with not just strong but well sloped shoulders, a bit longer of a neck, and clean legs. This stud is definately 'stout' but I can't really see his conformation. His foals all tend to take after him so I'm thinking what you see is what you get. You're most likely going to get a downhill foal.

Are specifically wanting a quarterhorse foal or are you open to other breeds?

ilovemyPhillip 07-06-2011 06:59 PM

I'm open to other breeds, but I'm looking for a weanling to start completely myself.

Endiku 07-07-2011 01:20 PM

in that case, you might want to try looking for some appendix foals if you're looking for versality. It really does depend on the foal though, and I advise in not just picking a stud and a mare and saying 'alright, I want their next foal.' Go meet a few weanling when the time comes and check their conformation, meet both parents, work with the foal for a little while, then decide. It takes a special horse to be able to compete well in so many different types of riding. You'll know when you find the right one =]

ilovemyPhillip 07-07-2011 01:35 PM

Thanks for the advice! I didn't plan on doing that at all, just giving a guideline. I will look around. (:

mls 07-07-2011 02:17 PM

Foundation QH also tend to run to the 'bull dog' type of conformation. Helpful for roping but I would think not so much for clearing fences!