The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Settling in a new horse! Help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/settling-new-horse-help-90997/)

slowlopin 07-06-2011 05:42 PM

Settling in a new horse! Help!

Hey!

So my new gelding is on his way and he is not my first horse but my first horse from out of state. I am wondering what ya'lls experience/advice is for settling in a horse out of state. He is from way north and coming way south. Whats your advice? Any tips? I have no doubts he will settle in perfectly as he travel quite a bit before and we have everything set up for him to a t! Just wondering if theres any good tips!

Thank you!!! :D

-Slowlopin

ilovemyquarter 07-06-2011 08:07 PM

Make sure the horse is comfortable drinking your water and hay. some horses may not drink or eat if they are uncomfortable.

Avoid riding the horse right away, spend time with it to see how it acts, the reactions to certian things, etc.

if the horse is spooking when you try to tack it up then try to rub the tack your using all over the horse. this tells the horse that what your doing is not going to hurt it and neither will you.

even if you get it from a safe place, get the vet to check out the horse immediatly, in case something when wrong in shipping or the horse did something to itself while traveling.

One sign of a healthy horse is if it has diareah in the beginning. This means that the horse is uncertian about the new place but it knows it will be okay.

I hope i helped :)

raywonk 07-06-2011 09:29 PM

Whact out how soon and how much you work him he will not be usde to this humitaty in the south or the heat.

MyBoyPuck 07-06-2011 09:45 PM

I would be mostly checking to see he's handling the temperature difference, particularly if you're somewhere where it's much more humid. Make sure he's got shade and that he's drinking. If he seems to be overheating a lot, cold hosing his legs and a nice rubbing alcohol bath will cool him down. Just give him a few days to settle into a routine and he should be fine.

raywonk 07-06-2011 10:11 PM

Oh and watch out for allergies to the nation. My horse broke out like a blimp when we moved south and got sweet itch really bad.

wetrain17 07-07-2011 09:43 AM

Are you boarding him or keeping him at your house? If he will be with other horses you will want to keep him isolated for a while. You wouldn't want him getting other horses sick if caught something in transit.