The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Adequan (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/adequan-91005/)

farmpony84 07-06-2011 07:06 PM

Adequan

My horse is currently being given Smartflex Ultra III as a daily supplement but I am going to call my vet for an appointment tomorrow because he's off on the back end and to discuss Adequan and other joint type supplements but I'm impatient.

Can someone who has used or does use Adequan tell me what it does, how it works and how often you need it? How close is it to a cortozone shot?

I may get some Chiro work done as well. I'm hoping I can get the appointment as early as Friday but since it's not an emergency I'll take what they have....

MyBoyPuck 07-06-2011 07:36 PM

I've never used it. From what I know of the people who do, it's great stuff and very fast acting. But it's also very expensive and needs to be done every 6 weeks to 3 months depending on the horse. I've had semi-immediate results with still expensive but far cheaper Cosequin-ASU.

farmpony84 07-06-2011 07:52 PM

I just finished reading all of the reviews on Smartpak and now I'm stressed! It looks like there is a "loading dose" which I'm assuming is the 7 vial dose for $300 but then it looks like you do it monthly at about $50 per month but then some people said they do it every six months to every year depending... Ugh! I am positively setting up and appointment tomorrow. Cosequin? Going to look for that now....

tinyliny 07-06-2011 07:57 PM

I think there is a loading dose, but not sure how many injections is it. My friend's horse used it and was much smoother within a couple of weeks!

farmpony84 07-06-2011 08:09 PM

It looks like the vet can give something as a loading dose then it looks like they have the 7 vial treatment and then some folks do it once a month, more often, less often, depending. I geuss it all depends on what my vet says. I'm already paying 50somthing a month for the smartflex ultra III so if it's one or the other then the monthly cost won't change but then I noticed some people give both. My concern is that pelvis injury (he fractured it as a baby). I'm thinking this is where I need to go but I geuss we'll see what my vet says. I hate that I have to wait for a regular appointment but sometimes (as long as you call before 10 am) they can get you in the same day without an emergency fee. My vet is farther away but they are really good so I'm already looking at a 75 farm call and then I think a 25 exam fee on top of whatever they do... UGH! LOL... He's worth it....

farmpony84 07-07-2011 09:53 AM

My appointment is for Wed. at noon. I wish I could get it sooner. We shall see what gets said. Can anyone suggest questions to ask? I'd like to be really prepared.