The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Bit issues. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/bit-issues-91014/)

ilovemyquarter 07-06-2011 09:41 PM

Bit issues.

Hello horse lovers,
I have a problem. My horse has never had any issues with putting the bit in. I have to use treats to get him to open his mouth. He is a quarter horse gelding.
he also had never bitten anyone until i was tacking him up one day and my assitant walked under his head and bit her. i figured it was because i was doing his girth, however he has never had any of these problems.

I started thinking about using bit wraps but I have doubts because those can easily get caught in their throught. He is a beautiful boy and I would never want to hurt him.

apachewhitesox 07-06-2011 09:56 PM

I'm sorry I'm confused. I don't know what a bit wrap is but why do you want to use one?

ilovemyquarter 07-06-2011 09:59 PM

Apple flavored pieces of edable paper. They usually stick to the bit so that the horse likes the bit. My only fear with using it is if it comes off of the bit and he chokes on it.
My problem is we have to trick him into taking it. He doesnt take it unless theres a treat in it. I have tried every trick in the book. I just dont know what to do.

apachewhitesox 07-06-2011 10:01 PM

Exactly what 'tricks' have you tried? How do you try to put his bridle on? How does he avoid it?

ilovemyquarter 07-06-2011 10:08 PM

ive tried squeezing his jaw and ive tried putting my finger where they dont have teeth and tried opening his mouth. I put the bit on my palm and shove it in his mouth. This is always worked in the past but never now. I also bunch it up in his face. I tried another method wich is putting two fingers on the end of the bit and sliding it in. He doesnt open his mouth and his teeth stay shut until we hold the bit with the treat.

apachewhitesox 07-06-2011 10:15 PM

Well I'm not sure I have a mare that did that and just putting a finger in to open her mouth was enough.

When you say treat do you mean just a carrot sitting on top? A friend suggested to me (just before using it) soaking the bit in hot water mixed with lots of sugar. Let it dry out then put the bridle on the horse. It is a bit sticky but we both found it worked great with horses who wouldn't take the bit. They were practically begging for the bit after a couple of goes. After awhile the horse I used it on was easy to put a bridle on even without the sugar.

ilovemyquarter 07-06-2011 10:19 PM

Alright so i would mix hot water and sugar, let it dry and then try it?

apachewhitesox 07-06-2011 10:21 PM

Yep just sit it in there a couple of minutes. Then let dry which should happen pretty quickly and use.

ilovemyquarter 07-06-2011 10:29 PM

Sounds good. I will try it and let you know. Thanks

Brighteyes 07-06-2011 11:16 PM

A nice trick it using fruit roll ups. You get a thin peice of fruit roll up and stick it to the bit. Most horses like it and it sticks well. They have a very concentrated flavor, so you don't have to use much.