The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   Want to start Halter showing..... advice? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/want-start-halter-showing-advice-91027/)

heartprints62 07-06-2011 11:48 PM

Want to start Halter showing..... advice?

I would like to start showing AQHA horses in Halter class. I have seen some mention of starting in local or open shows. How do I find these and how do I sign up? My high school (years and years ago) was too small to even have a 4H or anything, so I'm probably getting a late start at this. But nontheless, I would like to give it a go!

Please anyone, let me know where to start and what to do! THANKS!

aforred 07-10-2011 08:07 AM

You can Google saddle clubs in your area to find contact information, look on Facebook, or talk to other local horsemen. You can usually find someone who knows of some open shows at your local breed shows too.

roxy1388 07-10-2011 10:16 AM

Where I live, there is a number of open shows, as well as QH shows, depending on your skill level, and if you want serious competition, or just looking to have some fun you must decide what is best for you.

roxy1388 07-10-2011 10:20 AM

The thing with showing halter is, it all depends what kind of shows you want to be showing in, for example: if you are looking for fierce competition, you would want to show on a QH circuit, Appaloosa circuit, Paint Circuit, whichever one applies to you. My horse Roxy and I, have been showing for about 5 years now, and I just started onto the QH circuit two summers ago, we do place well, but only because she has the conformation most judges are looking for, Halter is STRICTLY based on conformation and appearence (dirt wise!!) , and is one of the easiest classes going, your placings will be based on how well toned , and "put together" your horse is! (I'm sure you knew all of this, but I was just rambling on, and hoped maybe you could get some good use out of it) :) , Good luck with your show hunt!!

QuarterHorseGirl1 07-10-2011 05:56 PM

in my area at least, there aren't many halter classes at open shows, so you may have to show at lower level AQHA shows until you get used to showing. in halter, it is very political, i know a girl that would normally not win with her horse but a famous halter trainer patted her on the back and petted her horse before she went into the pen and she won everything. so i would suggest getting with a good trainer and learning all the little trick there are to getting a very well muscled halter horse. good luck, and have fun!!

heartprints62 07-11-2011 04:02 PM

Thanks ya'll! Will be scouting the local tack shops for open shows so I can get the feel first!

goodhrs 08-11-2011 12:04 AM

Check you local feed stores and local horse magazines/papers if you have any and they will usually have a listing of them. Good luck. I love the open shows alot more than the breed shows, they are more relaxed and not so stuffy. JMO