The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Ribby...not ribby....arg (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/ribby-not-ribby-arg-9103/)

SonnyWimps 05-18-2008 11:42 PM

Ribby...not ribby....arg

Okay this is REALLY starting to annoy me....
I've upped Sonny's food...given him a little extra grain when I give him grain...ride him less...but still there are days when he looks ribby...

but there are also days that he doesn't appear ribby at all.
I'm starting to think it's either the way he's standing, his fur, the lighting or something...

can his weight really fluctuate that much to have one day make him look ribby, but the next not?

PoptartShop 05-19-2008 03:08 AM

Hm I don't think so...I think it could just be his fur pattern. ;)

jazzyrider 05-19-2008 04:32 AM

im glad someone else said this cause ive been thinking the same thing. some days i see them and think how fat they are getting and then the next day im in a complete panic thinking im not feeding them enough. a few days later they will be as fat as they come again :? i dont know what causes it but i can say its definitely more than fur :D

Dumas'_Grrrl 05-19-2008 09:58 AM

We went to our friend's house this weekend and rode their horses. GIngerbread is thier mare and she seems to be just like Sonny. She "looked" ribby but then when you touched her you could totally tell she had meat on her bones. :D And I thought of you. It seems that some horses just have that look even thought they are "healthy as a horse" :wink:

Micki O 05-19-2008 10:34 AM

My Henry is the same way. One day I'll think I should drop his feed back alittle cause he "looks" fat then the next day his ribs seem to be showing. He has had to have learned a way to breathe or stand or something so I love on the poor starving baby. Some times it seems like once he gets the sympathy, the rib look disappears right before my eyes!
God he has me trained!!!!!

DGW1949 05-19-2008 11:17 AM

Some horses are just naturaly more "ribby" than others.
As with people.... fat don't nessesarily equal healthy.
You'll find the correct ration-weight, for whatever amount of work that your horse does, on the feed bag.

Them's just my thoughts.

DGW

My2Geldings 05-19-2008 11:58 AM

Rememer it is the time of the season where grass is coming in and re-adjusting horse's feed is taking a big place into your horse's diet. I think if you give him a few weeks he will settle down to the proper weight.