The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Hot show days and optional hunt coats... (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/hot-show-days-optional-hunt-coats-91081/)

Poco1220 07-07-2011 03:07 PM

Hot show days and optional hunt coats...

What is your guys' opinion on optional coats at open shows? I have an open show on Sunday I'm going to and I know it's going to be HOT HOT HOT out. Most the time at these shows the judges go ahead and call "optional coats" so you aren't required to wear your hunt coat.

When showing in 4-H I always wore my coat because I was riding saddleseat in the classes vs the h/j riders and wanted it to be 100% clear. Now riding as a hunt rider that doesn't need to be done.

However, in YOUR OPINION, should you continue to wear your coat even if it's not required to maintain that "well polished" look?

VelvetsAB 07-07-2011 03:12 PM

I would wear it. It puts the whole thing together so much better.

But I am of the opinion that it is a type of uniform and must be worn properly at all times.

Warm up with out it, and put it on right before you go in the ring, to avoid over heating.

gigem88 07-07-2011 03:14 PM

I'm probably old school, but I always wear the coat! Even with 95-100% humidity with a heat index of over 100. Thank goodness the class doesn't last too long and the arena where I show has these huge fans in the ceiling so that at least keeps the air moving somewhat.

farmpony84 07-07-2011 03:14 PM

I carry it to the ring and put it on right before my class... even when jackets are optional...

Indigosblue 07-07-2011 03:42 PM

hunters tend to be picky about turnout so i'd wear it. I've shown in REALLY hot weather, just dunk your hair in some water and put the jacket on. Keep your helmate or a hat on at all times and remember to stay hydrated! I used to do x-country in hot weather and you need your protector vest, which is SO HOT, but better than not wearing one =) You could also bring a spray bottle with water to cool yourself off.

Poco1220 07-07-2011 03:46 PM

Thanks guys! You're pretty much confirming my choice anyhow I just know so many people get pissy at that one rider in the class who keeps their jacket on lol. Thanks!

kitten_Val 07-07-2011 05:18 PM

I'm not sure about hunter/jumper shows, but local dressage shows allow to show without one when the temp is very high (although it's not so much about temp as it is about humidity). I think unless its SOAKING hot coat would be better way to go, because coat looks definitely more eloquent. :)

MHFoundation Quarters 07-07-2011 05:43 PM

It's been eons since I've shown hunt seat but when coats were optional, I'd go without for HUS but always wore it anyway for equitation classes - flat or over fences.

equiniphile 07-07-2011 05:51 PM

Definitely still wear a coat. It just gives it the "finished" look. If it's really hot out, I warm up in my shirt and put the coat over top before I go in the ring.

lovemarcy 07-07-2011 06:18 PM

Unless you are extremely heat sensitive- I would wear it. I personally have a really hard time with the heat (and 100% humidity) of AL so I wore a sleveless show shirt and waited until right before my class to put my coat on.