The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   The Finished Drawing... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/finished-drawing-91098/)

A knack for horses 07-07-2011 04:55 PM

The Finished Drawing...

3 Attachment(s)
And I'm pretty proud of how it turned out :D

I made an earler thread for a critique on it halfway done, but I'll post the process pictures too. (And thanks to those who gave advice on that other thread!)

The reference photo:
Attachment 68883

The Halfway Done photo:
Attachment 68884

And last but not least, the final product! I think I'll darken the eyes and hooves a tad bit, since they don't seem to "match" the dark color of the horse. Otherwise I think its finished: :D
Attachment 68885

lilruffian 07-07-2011 04:59 PM

Not too bad! Pencil crayon can be a bit tricky because it's not easy to cover up if you make a mistake.
Only thing i might suggest is dont be afraid to darken up the shadowy parts. You can do it in layers until it seems the right shade & make certain areas darker than others ;)

A knack for horses 07-07-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilruffian (Post 1089044)
Not too bad! Pencil crayon can be a bit tricky because it's not easy to cover up if you make a mistake.

^ So true!!! Up above the left eye I made the accent mark a little too dark, and it kinda looks like she has an angry eye. :-(:evil::lol: I'm hoping I can make it look less dark by making the eyes darker and coloring over it with some brown.

A knack for horses 07-07-2011 06:31 PM

bump!!!

tinyliny 07-07-2011 06:55 PM

I agree with Lilruffian. YOu may want to increase the difference between the lightest lights and the darkest darks. Think of it this way, if you took a picture of it in black and white, would it read well? It's important to have not only variation in color, but variation is value (dark vs light) as well.

As you knowl, since I work only in b/w I am very much focussed on value. Working in color sometimes buffaloes me, though I appreciate it when others do the work!

Your friend will truly be tickled to recieve such a gift.

A knack for horses 07-07-2011 07:59 PM

Thanks for the advice guys! :D Well, girls :lol:

I'm going to "tinker" with it a bit and see if I can't get some more difference in the dark/light differences.

And I hope he likes it. He doesn't have a clue I've drawn it...so shhh! :wink: It's a secret :lol:

wildmustango 07-09-2011 11:03 AM

you got it, girl! that`s the way!

ItzKayley 07-10-2011 04:04 AM

That is awesome!
Would have loved to seen a black and white version with just shades of black. :P

whiskeynoo 07-10-2011 07:21 AM

Looks great, for some reason it reminds me of cubist artwork. :)