The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Bathing and hosing off a horse??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/bathing-hosing-off-horse-91114/)

horsieluver29 07-07-2011 09:26 PM

Bathing and hosing off a horse???

I know too cold water can give a horse colic, but how do you know if the water is too cold. Also, how do you know when to hose or shower your horse and if the horse is cooled off before showering.

apachewhitesox 07-07-2011 09:32 PM

I was told you start on there legs until veins on the inside of the legs are cool then start on the body. Sorry if that doesn't make sense, I 'm bad at explaining things. Hopefully someone else can be more help.

horsecrazy84 07-07-2011 09:36 PM

Cold water gives them colic if they drink too much when they are too hot. Cold water on a hot horse won't hurt them because their body temp is so high it warms the water almost instantly. I tend to start low then spray the neck, barrel, hindquarters, etc.

horsieluver29 07-07-2011 09:37 PM

I also heard that if you are hosing off a horse and you see a line near their stomach that the water is too cold?

Speed Racer 07-07-2011 09:51 PM

No, cold water will not colic a horse whether it's sprayed on them or they drink it. Those are nothing but old wive's tales, and they've been debunked.

If you're hot, sweaty, and have been out in the heat all day, don't you want a cold drink and to maybe get squirted with the hose? Same goes for horses, and it won't hurt them any more than it'll hurt us. If you don't believe me, please consult your with your vet and they'll tell you the same thing.

The reason horses used to tie up more was because people believed you had to limit their water intake when they were hot. Now we know better, and allow horses to drink as much as they want when they're thirsty.

As far as overheating after being hosed, that won't happen if you scrape the excess water off them. The idea is to hose them off, letting the water run as long as it takes for them to cool down, then quickly scrape off the excess water.

apachewhitesox 07-07-2011 09:52 PM

Yeah I heard a hot horse drinking cold water makes it sick but not hosing a horse down with too cold water.

apachewhitesox 07-07-2011 09:54 PM

that was good explanation SP I learnt something new once again.

Speed Racer 07-07-2011 10:04 PM

A lot of things have changed in the last 25-30 years when it comes to horses. As we learn more, we become better stewards and our animals live longer, healthier lives.

The whole deworming protocol has changed, too. It used to be recommended to worm your horses 6 to 8 times a year, now vets are telling people to have fecal counts done, and they'll base your deworming schedule on that. Many horses don't need to be dewormed more than twice a year.

Overuse as well as underuse of dewormers can create problems, which is why the fecal count protocol has become so popular.

horsecrazy84 07-08-2011 08:51 PM

hmm well I know that when I am too hot and drink too much cold water YES I do get a bad stomach ache and as far as I have read/heard it will still cause a horse to colic. I had a calf get colicky on a hot day when she drank a lot of cold water. I still only let mine get a quick drink then I make them wait and then I let them drink a little more.

bubba13 07-08-2011 08:58 PM

Neither spraying nor drinking cold water will harm a horse, or cause it to colic or tie up or founder. I have heard of exactly ONE case where someone really overworked a pony mare to the point of exhaustion and overheating, then sprayed her off with freezing cold water...she dropped dead of a heart attack. Which only proved that she had a pre-existing heart condition, and if the cold water hadn't triggered it, something else would have. This is just that one in a milllion exception.

That said, when hosing a horse off, it's best to start with the legs and work your way up to allow them to acclimate.