The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Hard to bridle. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/hard-bridle-9112/)

Abby 05-19-2008 02:14 PM

Hard to bridle.

My horse has become hard to bridle. The bit is fitted to him ok and he enjoys riding, he accept the saddle, and rider, he stands to be mounted does w/t/c with no problems and is not barn sour at all. I checked inside his mouth and he isn't sore or bruised. He opens his mouth to bridle and lets me start to slide it in and then slings his head up, and the bit goes clinkering on his teeth, he does the same thing when i try to take it out, I try to be extremely gentle but he immediately throws his head up and has been doing it since I got him. I thought it was just because I'm someone new but its been a month and he is only getting worse. It took me a half hour to get the bit in his mouth yesterday and I only got it in because my mom pulled the headstall up while I slipped the bit back so it wasn't hitting his teeth.

Bridling a horse should not be a two-person job.

I've tried approach and retreat. When he throws his head up the bit follows him and once he drops his head, it goes away. I did this for about a week with no changes.

I will take some video of me trying to bridle him, I hope it is something I am doing wrong so that I can figure this out. :?

kickshaw 05-19-2008 02:16 PM

for some reason, it sounds like a tooth (not gums - but a molar) problem (??)

i knew a natural horseman guy who would take the bit, but it in their mouth, then slide the headstall only over one ear until the horse quit chewing/fooling around, and then he would put it all the way on.

Not sure that would be the solution here, though :?:

SonnyWimps 05-19-2008 02:57 PM

I'd check with a vet to see if the teeth needs to be floated or any other problems in his mouth that is making him not accept the bit

What type of bit are you using? Could the bit be too harsh for your horse? Also try a sweet iron bit...Sonny will literally open his mouth wide when he sees the bit in my hand.

PoptartShop 05-19-2008 07:33 PM

I would get his teeth checked. ;)

geewillikers 05-19-2008 07:36 PM

Yeah, I agree...a quick scope of the ol' mouth might reveal something... :shock:

Abby 05-20-2008 04:38 PM

He may need to be floated but I'm not sure if he he's had his wolf teeth pulled because he is only 5 years old and they may not have come in yet. I forgot to look. The bit is a mullen mouth curb with 6" shanks. I keep the curb strap 2-3 fingers loose. He does not actually open his mouth to be unbridled, I've unhooked it it and slowly eased it down saying "open...", he just keep its clamped shut and then the bit hits his teeth and his head flies up and then I can't reach it to pull it out and his mouth is gaping open as it the bit is clinking against his teeth. I feel terrible when it happens and I have no idea how to stop it.

Sara 05-20-2008 04:55 PM

Do you not use your thumb in his mouth to get him to open before the bit hits his teeth?

Abby 05-20-2008 05:08 PM

He doesn't respond to that when being unbridled anymore which is completely frustrating. He used to but not he just raises his head as soon as I go to slip it in.

ETA-
Thinking about it this past week, it has gotten worse and this is the week I stopped trying to use my finger when unbridling, perhaps I should do that, to warn him the bridle is coming off. Thanks for bringing it to my attention Sara.

kickshaw 05-20-2008 05:24 PM

the more you talk about him, the more i believe it's tooth related. it could be his wolf teeth...that would make sense if the bit is knocking them on the way in and on the way out...

Abby 05-20-2008 05:26 PM

I look, I didn't notice them there but they may be there and I didn't see them because I wasn't looking. If he doesn't have his wolf teeth, I will call and schedule for the vet to have him floated or checked at least.