The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   he IS liver chestnut!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/he-liver-chestnut-91144/)

shelleyb 07-08-2011 04:40 AM

he IS liver chestnut!!

1 Attachment(s)
So i got romeo's vaccinations and the Vet had to sign off his passport... and couldnt decide whether he was BAY or BROWN???? Im not an expert but im convinced he is liver chestnut.... can see why he may say brown but Bay?? Seriously? what do you all think? xx

shelleyb 07-08-2011 04:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Chiilaa 07-08-2011 05:32 AM

What colour are his parents?

shelleyb 07-08-2011 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiilaa (Post 1089647)
What colour are his parents?

both black :)

OTTBLover 07-09-2011 08:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
He looks dark bay to me...

Here is a pic of my liver chestnut mare - note there is no black on her legs, or in her mane/tail (tail looks verrry dark, but when you see it up close, you can see that it is just dark chestnut)...

Either way your horse is beautiful!

shelleyb 07-09-2011 02:26 PM

aww thank you i think he is too.... oh really you would say bay?? it was the dark points that made the vet think bay but they arent actually black they just darker brown.... to me tho his coat looks exactly the same colour as you gorgeous mare does in you profile picture..... what defines a liver chestnut then?? can they have 'darker' points? xx

smrobs 07-09-2011 02:39 PM

I would say that he is a fading black. Normally on liver chestnuts, their legs get lighter as you go down toward their hooves as you can see on OTTB's horse. A liver chestnut is just that, a chestnut that happens to be darker than others. I am unsure whether it is a sooty modifier that causes it or if it just happens. With both the sire and dam being black, there was only a 1 in 4 chance of a chestnut horse (if both parents are heterozygous for black). If one parent was homozygous black, then there is zero chance for a chestnut horse.

Chiilaa 07-09-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1090988)
I would say that he is a fading black. Normally on liver chestnuts, their legs get lighter as you go down toward their hooves as you can see on OTTB's horse. A liver chestnut is just that, a chestnut that happens to be darker than others. I am unsure whether it is a sooty modifier that causes it or if it just happens. With both the sire and dam being black, there was only a 1 in 4 chance of a chestnut horse (if both parents are heterozygous for black). If one parent was homozygous black, then there is zero chance for a chestnut horse.

As well as this, if both parents are black, they cannot produce a bay or brown foal :thumbsup:

OTTBLover 07-09-2011 09:17 PM

Go to Color Calculator

This is the result I got! Unless one of his parents weren't true black....

93.75% - Black
6.25% - Chestnut

JustDressageIt 07-09-2011 09:32 PM

The horse in the photo looks dark bay or brown to me... Definitely not liver chestnut.